Dear Select Charter School Administrators:
REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW AND REAUTHORIZED DIRECT-FUNDED CHARTER
SCHOOLS SEEKING FEDERAL FUNDS UNDER THE ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY
This letter supercedes the letter sent from Beth Hunkapiller, Director, Charter Schools Division, dated September 21, 2011.
The purpose of this letter is to notify all new and reauthorized direct-funded charter schools seeking federal funding under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965 of the requirements for accessing these funds. These requirements include submission or assignment of the following:
- County-District-School (CDS) Code
- Consolidated Application (ConApp), Parts I and II
- Cash Management Data Collection (CMDC) Report
- Pupil Estimates for New or Significantly Expanding Charters (PENSEC) Report
- Local Educational Agency (LEA) Plan
Details on these requirements appear below:
- CDS Code: Any new or reauthorized charter school must complete Form TSD-01 of the CDS code application available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Schools and Districts Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/si/ds/index.asp. Submit an original hard copy to:
Charter Schools Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 5401
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
- ConApp: Direct-funded charter schools seeking ESEA funding must complete the ConApp each year (Part I by June and Part II by January). New and reauthorized charter schools approved after June or January need to submit Part I and Part II as soon possible. The online application is available on the CDE Consolidated Application Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/co/index.asp.
- CMDC Report: Timelines and instructions on reporting federal cash management data are posted on the CDE Federal Cash Management Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/cm/.
- LEA Plan: Under ESEA, direct-funded charter schools are considered LEAs and are therefore required to have an LEA Plan if they seek ESEA funding. Any new or reauthorized direct-funded charter school must submit an LEA Plan no later than the first week of January. Plans are reviewed by the CDE and if they meet all of the requirements of ESEA are recommended for approval at the March State Board of Education (SBE) meeting. To be eligible for 2011–12 funding, LEA Plans are due no later than January 6, 2012. An original and two copies of an LEA Plan must be submitted to:
Improvement and Accountability Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 6208
Sacramento, CA 95818-5901
New and reauthorized direct funded charter schools whose plans are approved on or before the March 2012 SBE meeting will be eligible to receive ESEA funding for the 2011–12 year. Those whose plans are approved after the March 2012 SBE meeting will receive funding for future years only. LEA Plans must be updated annually and kept on file at the school. Details on the LEA Plan are posted on the CDE Local Educational Agency Plan Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/nclb/sr/le/index.asp.
Under federal law, all LEAs must periodically (annually) review and update their LEA Plans, and revisions must be adopted by the charter's local governing board. Please refer to the CDE Local Educational Agency Plan Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/nclb/sr/le/index.asp.
If you have any questions regarding charter schools, please contact the Charter Schools Division, by phone at 916-322-6029 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Deborah V.H. Sigman, Deputy Superintendent
District, School and Innovation Support Branch