California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Room 1101
Tuesday, February 4, 2003
Charles Weis, Chair
Dee Brennick (for Assemblywoman Goldberg)
Cathleen Cox (for Senator McPherson)
James Wilson (for Senator Vasconcellos)
Staff to the Liaison Team
Call to Order
Chair Chuck Weis called the meeting to order at 9:10 am. after it was determined that a quorum was present.
Approval of Agenda
Chair Weis reviewed the agenda. Motion was made by Jai Sookprasert and seconded by Alice Petrossian to approve the agenda. Motion passed (10-0-0).
Approval of Minutes
Chair Weis reviewed the minutes from January 7, 2003 meeting. Motion was made by Robert Manwaring and seconded by Alice Petrossian. Motion passed (10-0-0).
Rae Belisle commented on the December 4, 2002 minutes and was concerned that the language in the minutes was misleading, in that statements and comments by members were construed as factual rather than "comments." Belisle recommended that minutes be relegated to motions. The committee recommended amending the minutes. Motion was made by Robert Manwaring and seconded by Alice Petrossian to recommend that minutes hereto will include motions. Motion passed (10-0-0).
Chair Weis opened the floor to public comment and recognized 10 members of the public. The names, which they represent, and the topic are as follows:
- Francisco Estrada - Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF) discussed the definition of highly qualified teachers.
- Lupe Holguin Buell - San Diego County Office of Education, Bilingual Directors discussed the paraprofessional qualifications.
- Mary Hernandez - Californians Together made general public comments regarding ELL students, discussed the assessments of ELL students, the definition of ELL subgroups, and Reading First.
- Mary Ellen deSantos - United Teachers of Los Angeles discussed the NCLB assessment for ELL, in particular NCLB, Title I, NCLB, Title III and California (handout given).
- Gabriel Medel - Parents for Unity discussed the needs of ELL students and their parents (handout given).
- Martha Zaragoza-Diaz discussed Reading First
- Dave Walrath - Small School districts discussed teacher quality.
- Mike Weimer - California Federation of Teachers discussed highly qualified teachers.
- Terry Larsen - Alhambra School District discussed highly qualified teachers.
- Jenny Wong - Public Advocate discussed the highly qualified teachers (handout given).
Topics for Discussion and Action
Chair Weis moved to Item #7, Topics for Discussion and Action.
Bill Padia gave testimony.
Chair Weis called for a 5-minute break. Meeting reconvened at 10:45 am.
Issue 1 - Definition of a highly qualified teacher
Bill Vasey gave a presentation on highly qualified teachers.
Linda Bond, State Board of Education, gave testimony (handout given).
Chair Weis adjourned for lunch at 12:05 pm to reconvene meeting at 1:00 pm.
Chair Weis reconvened the meeting at 1:05 pm.
Issue 2 - Paraprofessional's qualifications
Bill Vasey gave testimony.
Issue 3 - Reading First
A motion was made by Robert Manwaring and seconded by Dee Brennick to recommend that, in the next application cycle, the State Board of Education amend California's Reading First application to include interim adoption instructional materials as authorized by AB 2519. Motion passed (7-0, 2 abstentions).
A motion was made by Dee Brennick and seconded by Lynette Henley to recommend that the State Board of Education amend California's Reading First application to include the provision of professional development funding for all Proposition 227 bilingual waiver class. Motion passed (9-0, 1 abstention).
Issue 4 - Definition of English language learners and redesignated FEPs subgroups
A motion was made by Dee Brennick and seconded by Jai Sookprasert to recommend that, for the purpose of federal reporting of Limited English Proficient (LEP) student's subgroup, both Redesignated Fully English Proficient (RFEP) students and English Language Learners (ELL) are included. ELL and RFEP students will be monitored separately for school planning purposes. Motion passed (8-0, 1 abstention).
The Committee placed the following items on the agenda for the next meeting on March 4, 2003:
- Definition of Students with Disabilities
- Assessment Issues
- Interventions and Sanctions
Chair Weis adjourned the meeting at 3:03 pm and announced the next meeting to be held on March 4, 2003, 9 am to 3 pm.
The meeting will be held at 1430 N Street, Room 1101, Sacramento, CA.