Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Survey on New Indicators for the High School API

California Department of Education
Official Letter
California Department of Education
Official Letter
June 7, 2013


Dear County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators:

SURVEY ON NEW INDICATORS FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE INDEX

The California Department of Education (CDE) is conducting an online survey to gather input from the public, stakeholders, and all interested parties regarding the upcoming changes to the high school Academic Performance Index (API). Although the CDE will notify a large number of stakeholder groups regarding the online survey, I encourage you and your staff to share your perspectives by participating in the survey.

In September 2012, the governor signed into law Senate Bill 1458, which requires that by the 2015–16 API reporting cycle, the state assessment results may not constitute more than 60 percent of a high school’s API, and the remaining 40 percent must be from indicators other than state assessments, such as college and career and graduation data.

  1. The survey focuses on five areas:
  2. Data for the graduation indicator
  3. Specific measures for the college and career indicator
  4. Additional indicators to be considered for inclusion in the API
  5. College and career school report (a graphical display of college and career measures)
  6. Timeline for including new indicators in the API

Information from the survey will be shared for consideration with the Public Schools Accountability Act (PSAA) Advisory Committee before recommendations are made regarding the addition of new indicators in the API. The information will also be shared with the State Board of Education before any changes to the API are adopted. The survey is available on the CDE API Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ap/. The survey is open through June 20, 2013, and will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.

If you have any questions regarding the survey or changes to the high school API, please contact the Academic Accountability Unit by phone at 916-319-0863 or by e-mail at api@cde.ca.gov.

Sincerely,

Tom Torlakson

TT:js
2013-04696
Last Reviewed: Friday, July 10, 2015

Recently Posted in Editorials & Letters

  • Revision of the Health Education Framework (added 15-Sep-2016)
    Recruiting Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee Members for the Revision of the Health Education Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
  • 2016–17 Model School Attendance Review Board (added 13-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators regarding the 2016–17 Model School Attendance Review Board Recognition Program.
  • CA Computer Science Standards (added 13-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators regarding recruiting focus group members for the creation of Computer Science Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve.
  • High School Voter Education Weeks (added 12-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, High School Principals, and Elementary School Principals regarding the 2016–17 Civic Learning Awards and application.
  • 2016–17 Civic Learning Awards (added 12-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, High School Principals, and Elementary School Principals regarding the 2016–17 Civic Learning Awards and application.

  • Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Program (added 08-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, and Principals regarding the California Green Ribbon Schools Recognition Program request for applications 2016–17.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (added 08-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents, Direct-Funded Charter Schools, and High School Principals regarding Free Application for Federal Student Aid available October 1, 2016.
  • 2016–17 Specialized Secondary Programs (added 06-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents, Direct-Funded Charter Schools, and High School Principals regarding 2016–17 Specialized Secondary Programs Grants.
  • September Is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month (added 01-Sep-2016)
    Letter to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators regarding recognizing September as Suicide Prevention Awareness Month.
  • 2016 Feria De Educación, Education Fair (added 01-Sep-2016)
    Joint Letter to Select High School Superintendents and Principals regarding the 2016 Feria De Educación to be held on Saturday, October 1, 2016.