2014 National Youth Science Camp
Dear County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators:
2014 NATIONAL YOUTH SCIENCE CAMP NOMINATION PROCESS
The California Department of Education (CDE) is pleased to announce it is accepting applications for the 2014 National Youth Science Camp (NYSC).
The NYSC is a residential science education program that honors and challenges two graduating high school students from each state. The NYSC is offered at no cost to participants. All educational and recreational programming as well as meals, lodging, and round-trip air passage on scheduled airlines are provided free of charge to the delegates.
The NYSC will be held at a facility located in the Monongahela National Forest near Bartow in the eastern mountains of West Virginia. Delegates must be able to attend the entire NYSC program. Delegates arrive in Charleston, West Virginia, on Friday, June 27, 2014, and depart on Sunday, July 20, 2014. More information is available on the NYSC Web site at http://apply.nysc.org .
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant:
- Must be a candidate for high school graduation between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2014.
- Must complete the application found on the NYSC Web site at http://apply.nysc.org by Saturday, March 1, 2014.
- Must demonstrate superior academic proficiency, including recognition in mathematics and/or the sciences.
- Must demonstrate an application of leadership abilities and social maturity through involvement in school and community activities.
- Must demonstrate skills and achievements outside the realm of science and outside the realm of academic pursuits.
- Must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore many and varied topics.
The completed application and supporting materials must be submitted online at http://apply.nysc.org by Saturday, March 1, 2014.
Opportunities are provided for delegates to present seminars covering their own areas of interest and research. A visit to Washington D.C. permits delegates to visit some of the nation’s premier scientific, governmental, and cultural facilities. The NYSC experience includes overnight expeditions into the Monongahela National Forest featuring backpacking, rock-climbing, caving, mountain biking, or kayaking opportunities.
If you have any questions about the NYSC nominations process, please contact Dina Fong, Staff Services Manager, Superintendent’s Initiatives Office, by phone at 916-319- 0551 or by e-mail at email@example.com.