March 18, 2015
State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces 2015 Model Continuation High Schools
SACRAMENTO—State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson announced today the designation of 29 Model Continuation High Schools. These schools are being recognized for providing innovative programs and comprehensive services to students who may have otherwise been at risk of not graduating.
"These outstanding schools provide teaching approaches that better serve their students and give them every chance to flourish," Torlakson said. "Our goal is to ensure that every student receives a high-quality education and, upon graduation, that every student has a plan for the future and the skills necessary to succeed."
Continuation high schools meet the needs of students aged 16 years or older who lack sufficient school credits to graduate. The minimum attendance is 15 hours per week or 180 minutes daily. Students benefit from the supplemental programs and services, such as independent study courses, career counseling, job placement, apprenticeships, and concurrent enrollment in community college.
More than 62,000 students attended the California's 480 continuation high schools in the 2013–14 school year.
The Model Continuation High School Recognition Program is a partnership between the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Continuation Education Association (CCEA). A benefit of this joint effort is the establishment of a resource list of quality programs. Schools on this list can serve as models for other continuation schools.
The selected schools, which retain their title for three years, will be recognized at the 2015 CCEA State Conference held in May in San Francisco.
California's 2015 Model Continuation High Schools
- Allan F. Daily High School, 220 North Kenwood Street, Glendale, CA 91206-4209, René Valdes, Principal, 818-527-4805.
- Apollo High School, 3150 School Street, Simi Valley, CA 93065, Dean May, Principal, 805-520-6150.
- Arrow High School, 1505 South Sunflower Avenue, Glendora, CA 91740, Lisa Raigosa, Principal, 626-914-3961.
- Black Rock High School, 59273 Sunnyslope Drive, Yucca Valley, CA 92284, Vonda Viland, Principal, 760-369-6310.
- Calaveras Hills High School, 1331 East Calaveras Boulevard, Milpitas, CA 95035, Carl Stice, Principal, 408-635-2690.
- Century High School, 20 South Marengo Avenue, Alhambra, CA 91801, Lindsey K. Ma, Principal, 626-943-6681.
- Conejo Valley High School, 1872 Newbury Road, Newbury Park, CA 91320, Martin Manzer, Principal, 805-498-6646.
- Del Mar High School, 312 South Del Mar Avenue, San Gabriel, CA 91776, Lon Sellers, Principal, 626-291-5723.
- Delta High School, 4893 Bethany Drive, Santa Maria, CA 93455, Esther Prieto-Chávez, Principal, 805-937-6356.
- Frontier High School, 9401 South Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90605, Margie Moriarty, Principal, 562-698-8121.
- Gateway High School, 1550 Herndon Avenue, Clovis, CA 93611, Rees Warne, Principal, 559-327-1800.
- Hillview High School, 15400 Lansdowne Road, Tustin, CA 92780, Tim O'Donoghue, Principal, 714-730-7356.
- Laguna High School, 445 Taft Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472, Kent Cromwell, Principal, 707-824-6485.
- Mesquite High School, 140 West Drummond Avenue, Ridgecrest, CA 93555, Jo Anne McClelland, Principal, 760-499-1810.
- Montecito High School, 720 Ninth Street, Ramona, CA 92065, Dave Lohman, Principal, 760-787-4300.
- Mt. Madonna High School, 8750 Hirasaki Court, Gilroy, CA 95020, Jennifer Del Bono, Principal, 408-842-4313.
- Mt. San Jacinto High School, 30800 Landau Boulevard, Cathedral City, CA 92234, Milt Jones, Principal, 760-770-8563.
- Newmark High School, 134 Witmer Street, Los Angeles, CA 90026, Justin Lauer, Principal, 213-250-9675.
- North Park High School, 4600 North Bogart Avenue, Baldwin Park, CA 91706, Harris Vincent Pratt, Principal, 626-337-4407.
- Orange Grove High School, 300 South Buena Vista Avenue, Corona, CA 92882, Joseph Almasy, Principal, 951-736-3339.
- Pacific High School, 501 College Drive, Ventura, CA 93003, Kenneth Loo, Principal, 805-289-7950.
- Palomar High School, 480 Palomar Street, Chula Vista, CA 91911, Sarita Fuentes, Principal, 619-407-4800.
- Renaissance High School, 325 North Palm Avenue, Santa Paula, CA 93060, Robin Gillette, Principal, 805-525-4407.
- Salisbury High School, 1050 Kimball Road, Red Bluff, CA 96080, Barbara Thomas, Principal, 530-529-8766.
- San Antonio High School, 125 West San Jose Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711, Sean Delgado, Principal, 909-398-0316.
- Sierra High School, 1134 South Barranca Avenue, Glendora, CA 91740, Mari Bordona, Principal, 626-852-8300.
- Sture Larsson High School, 1813 McClellan Way, Stockton, CA 95207, Phyllis Kahl, Principal, 209-953-8687.
- Valley Alternative High School, 15430 Shadybend Drive, Hacienda Heights, CA 91745, Steven Cazares, Principal, 626-933-3400.
- Victory High School, 3250 Victory Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765, Mark Williams, Principal, 916-632-3195.
# # # #
Tom Torlakson —
State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100