California's New Standards for English and MathThis explains the new, rigorous California state standards in English and math that help prepare students for the 21st century economy by emphasizing critical thinking and problem solving.
A number of states across the nation have adopted the same standards since 2010 for English and mathematics. These standards are called the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Having the same standards helps all students get a good education, even if they change schools or move to a different state. Teachers, parents, and education experts designed the standards to prepare students for success in college and the workplace.
The State Board of Education adopted these new standards in 2010, which describe what students should know and be able to do in each subject in each grade.
California's new standards for English and mathematics remodel the state's education system. They replace outdated ways of learning, keep the best of what we have, and help students learn step-by-step the skills they need to receive a world-class education. Children will participate in hands-on learning, which help them develop the critical thinking and analytical skills they need to deal with an ever-changing world.
For more detailed information, visit the Common Core State Standards Web page.
- July 15, 2015: One-Day Professional Learning Event.
- October 7 2014: Torlakson Launches Online Educator Community to Improve Student Success.
- August 27, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Launches Pre-Apprenticeship Pilot Project.
- August 18, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces New Toolkit to Help Educators Explain Common Core.
- July 17, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces New Guidance for High School Common Core Math Materials.
- July 9, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces State Adoption of First English Framework Based on Common Core.
- April 18, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Releases Education Technology Blueprint.
- March 6, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces New Online Tools for Educators.
- March 3, 2014: State Schools Chief Torlakson Releases Guidance for Teachers and Schools as They Prepare Students for Careers and College California Energy Commission.
- January 15, 2014: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Adoption of First Mathematics Materials Aligned to the Common Core.
- December 17, 2013: School Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Invites Public Comment on First English Framework Based on Common Core.
- November 21, 2013: State Expands Field Tests of New Common Core-Aligned Assessments.
- November 19, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Partnering with California PTA to Provide Common Core Resources to Parents.
- November 12, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Second Half of $1.25 Billion Going to Schools for Common Core Transition.
- November 6, 2013: California Adopts First Math Framework Aligned with Common Core.
- September 12, 2013: Legislature Passes Package of Bills Advancing Move to Common Core and Next Generation Standards.
- September 4, 2013: Assessment Overhaul Supports Statewide Transition to Common Core.
- September 3, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Directs $622 Million in State Funding to Help School Districts Bring Common Core Standards to Life.
- August 26, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Two Publications to Help Schools and Students Transition to Common Core State Standards.
- June 17, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Showcases Teacher Trainings Kicking Off California's Common Core Summer.
- May 8, 2013: State Board of Education Adopts Timeline for New Common Core Math Materials.
- April 18, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Public Comment Period Open on New Common Core Math Framework.
- March 26, 2013: State Schools Chief Announces Spanish Version of Common Core Standards Now Available; Jefe estatal de escuelas anuncia versión en español de Common Core.
- March 13, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Applauds Adoption of Anchor Standards.
- March 11, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces California Joins National Partnership to Teach Students 21st Century Skills.
- January 16, 2013: California Adopts Modified Math Standards to Restore Local Decision Making.
- January 16, 2013: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Board Approval of Sweeping Updates to Career Technical Education Standards.
- January 8, 2013: State Superintendent Tom Torlakson Proposes New Statewide Testing System.
- November 7, 2012: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces State Approval of Instructional Materials Aligned to Common Core State Standards.
- November 7, 2012: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces Adoption of New Standards for English Language Development.
- September 28, 2012: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Issues Statement on AB 1246 Signing.
- March 20, 2012: State Schools Chief Torlakson Announces Plan to Implement Common Core State Standards Presented to Governor and State Legislature.
- December 19, 2011: State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Unveils New Publication to Help Schools Transition to Common Core State Standards.
- August 2010: The SBE adopted the CCSS to provide a practical way to prepare children for the challenges of a constantly changing world—by learning step-by-step the real-world skills they need for college and careers.