On January 10, 2013, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson issued a new assessment of the state of California’s public school system, two years after he declared a State of Financial Emergency as a result of $22 billion in cuts:
"The Governor's budget proposal keeps the promise we made to Californians who supported Proposition 30, and wisely begins to restore some of what our schools have lost. It will take years to bring our education system back to financial health, and I applaud the Governor for beginning that work in earnest."
— Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- February 28: Senate Budget and Fiscal Review Committee Testimony.
- February 26, 2013: Torlakson Urges Congress to Avoid Cuts.
- January 23, 2013: Torlakson Reacts to State of the State.
- January 17, 2013: Torlakson, Lockyer Caution Against Bonds.
- January 10, 2013: State Budget Reaction.
- October 4, 2012: Strong Schools for a Strong Economy Tour.
- June 28, 2012: Torlakson Reacts to State Budget.
- June 15, 2012: Early Learning and Child Development Funding.
- May 21, 2012: Second Interim Status Report.
- May 14, 2012: Torlakson Responds to May Revision.
- May 2, 2012: Protect Child Care Funding.
- April 2, 2012: CSU Executive Pay Freeze.
- March 7, 2012: Education Budget Senate Subcommittee Testimony.
- March 6, 2012: Education Budget Assembly Testimony.
- March 1, 2012: Child Care Funding Testimony.
- February 23, 2012: First Interim Status Report for 2011-12.
- February 16, 2012: Education Budget Testimony.
- January 18, 2012: Reaction to State of the State Address.
- January 5, 2012: Reaction to Proposed State Budget.
- December 13, 2011: Mid-Year Cuts Reaction.
- June 28, 2011: Torlakson Comments on Governor's Budget Proposal.
- June 17, 2011: Second Interim Status Report.
- May 16, 2011: May Revision Reaction.
- May 12, 2011: Reaction to QEIA Suspension.
- May 11, 2011: Torlakson Addresses Financial Emergency.
- March 21, 2011: Interim Status Report.
- March 11, 2011: Torlakson Warns Districts to Plan for the Worst.
- January 10, 2011: Torlakson Comments on State Budget.
- January 6, 2011: Torlakson Declares Financial Emergency.