The History-Social Science Content Standards for California Public Schools (PDF) describes what every kindergarten through grade twelve student should know and be able to do in history and social science.
The History-Social Science Framework (PDF; 2MB) is a guide to the development of curriculum and instruction for teachers to ensure that all students meet or exceed the content standards in history-social science. The frameworks provide guidance for a school or school district in developing history-social science courses. Additionally, the framework provides information on the processes and criteria for evaluating instructional materials for kindergarten through grade eight.
Information and resources for history-social science instructional materials can be found at CDE’s Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Materials Web site.
Legislation and Policies
There are a number of statutory provisions, policies, and guidelines regarding the teaching of history-social science. Districts need to be aware of these to continue and build strong history-social science education programs.
- California Education Code (EC) Section 51210 (grades one through six)
- EC Section 51220 (grades seven through twelve)
- ACR 30 (Civic Mission of Schools)
- EC Section 51221 (understanding the wise use of natural resources)
- EC Section 51221.3 (oral and video history in the instruction of WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War)
- EC Section 51221.4 (Instruction in the Vietnam War, including the "Secret War" in Laos and the role of Southeast Asians in that war)