Mathematics GuidelinesInformation and guidelines for implementing and improving mathematics programs including content standards and framework, curriculum, materials, and mathematics-related legislation.
Content Standards and Framework
The knowledge, concepts, and skills students should acquire at either grade or course level are described in the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) (2010) (DOC), which were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE). Appendix A (PDF) focuses on organizing the Standards for Mathematical Content into model pathways to college and career readiness. Furthermore, it lays out model courses for high school mathematics.
To align with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, Assembly Bill 250 (Chapter 608, Statues of 2011) calls for the revision of the Mathematics Framework (2013). Frameworks are developed by the Instructional Quality Commission (IQC), formerly known as the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission. The California State Board of Education adopted the Mathematics Framework on November 6, 2013. This revised Mathematics Framework supports the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. This version of the Mathematics Framework will remain posted while it is edited for publication. The executive summary of the Mathematics Framework highlights essential information and guidance in the Mathematics Framework and is intended to introduce the reader to the wealth of information and support for teachers, administrators, and parents/guardians it provides.
To align with Common Core State Standards, supplemental instructional materials were approved in 2013.
Assembly Bill 1246 (Chapter 668 of the Statues of 2012), signed on September 27, 2012 authorized the State Board of Education (SBE) to conduct a primary adoption of kindergarten through grade eight instructional materials in mathematics aligned to the Common Core State Standards. The SBE adopted mathematics programs on January 15, 2014.
Assembly Bill (AB) 250 (Brownley): Instructional Materials: Pupil Assessment
AB 250 required the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) to consult with specific stakeholder groups in developing recommendations for the reauthorization of the statewide pupil assessment system, which includes a plan for transitioning to a system of high-quality assessments.
AB 484 (Bonilla): Pupil Assessments: Measurement of Academic Performance and Progress (MAPP)
AB 484 was signed into law on October 2, 2013. It establishes California’s new student assessment system, now known as the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP).
AB 1246 (Brownley): Instructional Materials
AB 1246 authorizes the adoption of instructional materials for mathematics aligned to the Common Core State Standards by 2014 and provides districts flexibility in the selection of instructional materials.
Senate Bill (SB) 359 (Mitchell, Beall, and Hancock): California Mathematics Placement Act of 2015
SB 359 , known as the California Mathematics Placement Act of 2015, requires the governing boards or bodies of local educational agencies (LEAs) that serve pupils entering grade nine and that have not already done so to adopt “a fair, objective, and transparent mathematics placement policy” before the beginning of the 2016-17 school year. (LEAs are defined as county offices of education, school districts, state special schools, and charter schools.) The mathematics placement policy must be adopted in a regularly scheduled public meeting.
SB 472 (Alquist): Mathematics and Reading Professional Development Program
SB 472 provided funding for professional development in mathematics and reading/language arts. SB 472 is currently under full categorical flexibility due to SBX3 4 . More information about SBX 3_4 can be found under Attachment B for action on the 2008 and 2009 Budget Acts.
SB 1200 (Hancock): Recommended Modifications to the California Additions to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and Model Courses for Higher Mathematics
SB 1200 (DOC) authorizes the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) to recommend and the SBE to revise or modify the mathematics academic content standards as adopted by the SBE on August 2, 2010. SB 1200 calls for an advisory group of experts to be formed to provide recommendations to the SSPI and the SBE on modifying the mathematics standards. The SBE adopted the modifications to the CCCSSM and Model Courses for Higher Mathematics on January 16, 2013, pursuant to SB 1200.
SB 1458 (Chapter 3, Statutes of 2012)(Steinberg): School Accountability: Academic Performance Index
SB 1458 requires that beginning in 2013-16 (i.e., 2015 Base API and 2016 Growth API), state assessments results may only constitute 60 percent of a high school’s API and the remaining 40 percent must be from indicators other than assessments, such as college and career readiness indicators and graduation rate.