Mathematics and Reading Professional Development (AB 466)
For the purposes of AB 466, California Education Code (EC) Section 99231(c) defines instructional materials that are aligned to state standards for grades one to eight, inclusive, as materials adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) after January 1, 2001, unless "otherwise authorized." In May 2002, the SBE adopted emergency regulations to define "otherwise authorized" instructional materials. In addition, the SBE adopted regulations in June 2002 regarding instructional materials for courses usually taught in kindergarten through grade eight, including algebra.
The following programs are defined as instructional materials that are "otherwise authorized" for purposes of the AB 466 Mathematics and Reading Professional Development Program:
- Mathematics by Houghton Mifflin, grade six, 2002 copyright
- Everyday Mathematics, kindergarten through grade three, 2001 copyright
- Everyday Mathematics, grades four through six, 1999 copyright
- Everyday Mathematics, grades four through six, 2002 copyright
- SRA/Open Court Reading, 2000 copyright
If using Open Court 2000 for purposes of this program, local educational agencies (LEAs) are reminded that California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 5, section 11983.5(b), requires LEAs to certify the following to the California Department of Education (CDE).
- The instructional materials were purchased by the district prior to the 2002 Reading/Language Arts/English Language Development Adoption (RLA/ELD);
- The LEA has in place specially designed instructional materials (component) to address the needs of English learners that is comparable to the instructional materials (component) approved and contained in the RLA/ELD programs adopted in January 2002 as approved by the Chair of the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission or his or her designee;
- The LEA's specially designed component to address the needs of English learners has been approved by the CDE for legal and social compliance pursuant to EC sections 60040-60048 and the SBE's Standards for Evaluating Instructional Materials for Social Content (2000 Edition), [Note: SRA/McGraw Hill Open Court Reading 2000 ESL Supplement (Revised Edition) has met this requirement] and;
- The publishers have met all the requirements of EC Section 60061, as applicable.
AB 466 Mathematics and Reading Professional Development Program Training on Algebra
CCR, Title 5, Section 11983(a), clarifies that instructional materials for algebra must be adopted by the SBE, unless otherwise authorized by the SBE, to be used for purposes of the AB 466 Mathematics and Reading Professional Development Program.