California Environmental Education Interagency Network
October 25, 2012
California Environmental Protection Agency
1001 I Street, Conference Room 230, Sacramento, CA 94814
Meeting Leader: Bryan Ehlers
Note Taker: Anne Stephens
Call-in Leader: Bryan Ehlers – Conference phone number: 866-324-4184
Host Code: 9735474
Participant Code: 6088006
Participants: Bryan Ehlers
Genesis Rivas- intern with Ed Wong
Brian Brown- Project WET Water Education Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Robinson-Department of Water Resources
Bobbi Winn-Department of Fish and Game (changing to Department of Fish and Wildlife as of January 1)
Donna Pozzi-State Parks
Ed Wong- Air Resources Control Board
Anne Stephens-California Department of Education
Kay Antunez-retired Cal Fire
9:30 Welcome, Introductions, Agenda Review
9:35 Minutes –Approval
Could not be approved due to lack of a quorum
9:40 Action Items from September for Follow-up:
- CEEIN Benefits Document: Annie sent out the CEEIN Benefits Document to everyone, but
Donna didn’t see the reason for adding in her individual department’s activities
Bryan shared that listing more “outputs” from our programs would strengthen the benefits statement.
Average workshop attendance was 30 at the CSTA CEEIN strand – this is an indication of CEEIN’s outreach.
Also, helped Chris Graillot write the grant application for the CPAs also a benefit.
Anne will resend CEEIN Benefits document: ask members to write up hard numbers (outputs) of each organization, impacts of unified voice and collaboration.
This discussion will be carried over to November. Anyone with additional information .ARB still has more to add. Ed asked Bryan to contact people from other divisions who have not attended the meetings to ask them for input on the document. Bryan, Donna and Anne will work on draft.
- Michelle asked Bryan about writing up how CEEIN helped OEE meet its legislative mandate
- Ed reminded the group that CEEIN members provided a lot support at the beginning of the EEI project. Provided input for the development of the EP&Cs with Gerald Lieberman. Many CEEIN members provided input of the draft units. Donna: there wouldn’t be EEI if it weren’t for CEEIN. CEEIN is in the language of the legislation.
Anne sent out most recent draft.so that we could strengthen it.
Anne shared the US EPA suggestions about school health and safety with the Director of the CDE School Facilities Division who oversees the Green Ribbon School Program.
- Anne will formerly invite Brian Brown (Project WET) to join CEEIN as a partner. She will check the handbook for what the process is for having partners join CEEIN
- CSTA has produced a slide show that will be posted that describes the correlation between CCCS and NGSS
- Locate tools for assessing schools indoor air quality
10:20 Committee Reports:
- Communications: Michelle and Annie
- Michelle has more brochures (2 boxes) left if anyone needs them. There are many edits that need to be made in light of programs shifting (i.e. OEE moving to Cal Recycle
- Leadership, Legislation, Diversity: Donna, Bryan, Anne Carolyn Kolstad
- Education and the Environment Initiative-Bryan has a person correlating the documents to Common Core. Is working with Tom Adams’ division on making correlations
- A Kickstarter campaign is being initiated to fund the development of several ibooks. Being developed by Michael Leifer and Will Duggan.
- Science EEI units seem to be more popular than the History Social Studies units. STEM is encouraging people to use
- Kay encourages EEI staff to make outreach to History Social Studies CCSS conference.
- Kay: Forest service is funding a school in Vallejo to participate in PLT’s Green schools program. Full day training with the staff, and they are also using EEI, but doing the science units. Starting a Green Academy. This would be a good school to follow. Jesse Bethel High School- it has a very diverse student body.
- OEE is doing Webinars to build outreach to teachers. They are partnering with GLOBE and Chabot Science Center. National Geographic and Annenberg Learner want to go further through MOOCs (Massive Online Open Classroom) PD for teachers on environmental literacy.
- Michelle Robinson has been providing printed EEI materials for CREEC Coordinators doing workshops.
- Anne and Bryan are presenting at Whiskeytown Environmental School on October 27 to teachers from several north state science programs.
- Bryan Ehlers shared the new OEHHA Environmental Justice map that shows regions of California with low environmental quality
10:45 New Business
- Download from NAAEE and CSEC (what was this?)
- Environmental Justice mapping tool (PDF)
11:00 What’s New in Your World
- Bobbi-new name for Fish and Game, becoming the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Her position should be advertised and open for Nov. 1 with deadline due Nov. 14. It will be an AGPA position, and is posted on the DFG web site. Bobbi will send an electronic announcement.
- Anne asked about migrant education programs in other agencies. Mini corps works with college students (Sacramento). Ed participated in the Youth Conservation Corps at the Marin Headlands.
- Michelle:Bay Delta Conservation District meeting was last week to discuss the conservation plan.
- Ed: presented Air quality concepts to 350 students 8 classes at DeAnza College. He presents every quarter.
- Donna: opened the visitor center at the Folsom Powerhouse (funded with bond act of 2000). Delayed due to construction costs but is now open. There are exhibits interpreting hydroelectric power and water in California. It is a nice meeting space.
- Carolyn Kolstad has offered to host a CEEIN meeting at the new USFWS office in Auburn.
- 2013 Calendar is being circulated by Annie.
- 5 camps during the summer-residential camps children of migrant workers. Weeklong camp. Project Wild and PLT. COSA
11:25 Meeting Wrap-Up/Clarify Action Items
- Anne will send out CEEIN Benefits statement along with MOU draft with the agenda for next month so that people will have time to provide input.
- Bryan will pursue Food and Agriculture and other BDO (Board Department Office)
- Anne: will check about email networks for disseminating info for US EPA and Air Resources about school health.
- Anne will download the CSTA Power point on Common Core and NGSS and share at the next meeting
- Kay will look for the committee list since no one is on Admin committee
- Michelle will send out pdf of current CEEIN brochure for edits.
- Anne will send out link to the Environmental Justice Map from OEHHA
- Michelle is the lead on next meeting.
- Bobbi will be note taker.
- Each lead host needs to establish a conference call number.
- Donna has an account number as does DWR.
- November 15th 2410 at CalEPA.