This is an Accessible Alternative Version of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) development timeline and adoption process (PDF). The Adobe Acrobat Portable Document should be the preferred version for downloading.
- July 2011: Framework for K-12 Science Education released by National Research Council.
- September 2011: California selected as lead state in the development of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), based on Framework for K-12 Science Education.
- 2011: Promotion of the NGSS and Conceptual Framework at conferences and workshops.
- November 2011: First meeting of State Review Team (SRT) comprised of Science Experts.
- February 2012: Second meeting of SRT.
- May 2012: First public draft of NGSS released.
- October 2012: Third meeting of SRT.
- January 2013: Second public draft of NGSS released.
- March 2013: Final draft of NGSS released.
- Spring 2013: Three regional public forums.
- July 31, 2013: State Superintendent of Public Instruction presents to California State Board of Education (SBE) Recommended Science Standards based on the NGSS.
- November 30, 2013: California SBE adopts, rejects, or modifies recommended Science Standards.
- 2014*: Implementation of new science standards.
*Pending SBE's action in November 2013.