This is an Accessible Alternative Version of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Development Process Web page information and graphic. The Web page should be the preferred version for viewing.
Throughout the development process, the NGSS will go through several rounds of review with multiple stakeholder groups. Each group will receive draft standards at least twice throughout the development process. Below is the general process and timeline for the development of the NGSS.
- Summer 2011: Lead states and writer identified.
- Summer 2011: Writing team begins work.
- Fall 2011: State draft.
- Winter 2011: Writing team reacts to review.
- Winter 2012: State and critical stakeholder draft.
- Spring 2012: Writing team reacts to review.
- May 11–June 1, 2012: Public draft.
- Summer 2012: Writing team reacts to review.
- Fall 2012: State and critical stakeholder draft.
- Fall 2012: Writing team reacts to review.
- January 2013: Public draft.
- Winter 2013: Writing team reacts to review.
- Winter 2013: Final draft released to states.
- Winter 2013: Edits to final document.
- Winter/Spring 2013: Next Generation Science Standards released for adoption.