Visual and Performing Arts ResourcesSites with information on California resources relating to general arts education.
- California Alliance for Arts Education (CAAE)
Promotes, supports, and advocates visual and performing arts education for preschool through post-secondary students in California schools. See Insider's Guide to Arts Education Planning for tips on how to write a district/school arts plan.
- California Arts Council (CAC)
To support available and accessible quality art reflecting all of California's diverse cultures.
- The California Arts Project (TCAP)
To deepen teachers' knowledge of dance, music, theatre, and visual art and to enhance students' success.
- California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA)
Offers support to schools and districts by offering a full complement of services utilizing the statewide county office of education infrastructure and in particular, visual and performing arts instructional support through their Arts initiative.
- California Gold Ribbon Schools Program
(See Exemplary Programs, Arts Education)
A new program for 2015-2016 which honors some of California's outstanding public schools. Schools that are selected demonstrate exemplary achievements in implementing state standards in priority areas.
- California State University Summer Arts (CSUSA)
A program offering academic credit plus a festival in the visual, performing, and literary arts for college students and dedicated high school juniors and seniors.
- Children's Health (OEHHA)
List of art and craft materials that may not be purchased for use in grades K-6
- CREATE CA, Core Reforms Engaging Arts to Educate
Statewide coalition of agencies and organizational partners on an education reform movement that views arts education as an essential part of the solution to the problems facing California schools.
- Creativity at the Core, Professional Learning Modules
15 new professional learning modules connecting arts learning the Common Core State Standards
- InnerSpark: California State Summer School for the Arts
Supports high school students to receive training in the arts through summer intensive sessions.
- Los Angeles County Arts Commission
Fosters accessibility of the arts in the County of Los Angeles.
- The Music Center, Los Angeles
Comprehensive lesson plans designed to help teachers engage their students with works of dance, theatre and music.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Health & Safety in the Arts: A Guide for K-12 Schools, Colleges and Artisans
This publication describes proper management of waste and residuals from art studios and shop practices.
- Very Special Arts: I Can Do That
To promote artistic excellence and provide educational opportunities through the Arts for children of all abilities; To education the general public, reduce fear, and promote awareness regarding the capabilities and accomplishments of people with disabilities.
- American Alliance for Theatre Education
Promotes theatre education, theatre arts and educators who use theatre in the classroom as well as higher education resources.
- American Music Conference
Building credibility for music and music education, especially at an early age.
- Arts Education Partnership
Here you will find a circle of support for your ideas, leadership, and voice in making the arts an essential part of a complete education for every child - especially our most underserved who show the greatest improvement in academic achievement when participating in the arts.
- Educational Theatre Association (EdTA)
Promotes and advances theatre education; provides resources for scripts, resource links, directing, designing, producing, Shakespeare, dramaturgy, musicals, copyrighting, play writing and Thespian connections.
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Serving the nation as a leader in arts education.
- Lincoln Center
A performing arts center representing 12 organizations (including Julliard, Metropolitan Opera, Film Society of Lincoln Center, Jazz at Lincoln Center) and links to K-12 classrooms across the nation with programming.
- NationalCore Arts Standards
The result of the work of the National Coalition for Core Arts Standards (NCCAS), this website launched in June 2014 contains arts standards for five disciplines: Dance, Media Arts, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts.
- National Dance Education Organization (NDEO)
Advances and promotes dance education providing teacher resources including research, artistic, educational and cultural values of dance and provides strong advocacy online tools and information.
- National Gallery of Art (NGA)
Collection of paintings, sculpture and works of art on paper from the late middle ages to today and of Europe and the United States; offers online resources for teachers and students plus a loan program.
- Smithsonian Museum
The Smithsonian encompasses 19 museums, 9 research centers and the National Zoo. Explore the Smithsonian online resources including their encyclopedia Smithsonian, Exhibits and Events and their Research resources. It includes the American Indian Museum, American Art Museum, the Portrait Gallery and the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum.
- Smithsonian Art Collection
Art collections including textile - fiber, yarn, fabric; fashion illustration, paintings, lithographs, photography, ceramics, book illustration and 150 years of prints of American art.
- Smithsonian Cultures and Communities
Artifacts from European Americans, Latinos, Arab Americans, Asian Pacific Americans, Gypsies, Jews and Christian, both Catholic and Protestant.
- Smithsonian Music Collection
Music collections, performances and public programs, resources for educators including the Smithsonian Jazz Class.
- Smithsonian National Museum of American History
Three million artifacts via online collections and database. Includes collections in art, music, textiles, photography, architecture, cultures and communities, and advertising.
- California Art Education Association (CAEA)
Dedicated to the advancement of art education through professional development, teacher resources, programs, and recognition of achievements.
- California Association for Music Education (CMEA)
Supports educational efforts to promote quality music instruction for the children and adults of California.
- California Dance Education Association (CDEA)
To establish Dance as an integral part of all school curricula for grades K-post secondary.
- California Educational Theatre Association (CETA)
To support theatre education.
- National Art Education Association
To promote art education through professional development, service, advancement of knowledge, and leadership.
- National Association for Music Education (NAFME)
Advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music.
- National Dance Education Association (NDEO)
Promotes creative artistic lifestyles through dance education and dance.
- Arts Standards – Other States Standards and Frameworks
New! Explore the interactive US Map on the SEADAE website to view VAPA standards and frameworks from around the country, as well as downloadable document.
- Career Technical Education Model Standards
See industry sector, Arts, Media and Entertainment, and the “Academic Alignment Matrix” starting on page 22.
- National Coalition for Core Arts Standards
This is a great resource site for the new national arts standards, and for webinars on the arts and common core.
- Professional Learning Module, Content Literacy for Technical Subjects
This series is the product of collaborative efforts between the California Department of Education and content and professional learning experts throughout California to help educators transition to the Common Core State Standards. The series currently includes ten modules available in both online and on-site professional learning formats. The Visual and Performing Arts and connections to Common Core State Standards are thoroughly covered in the module titled, “Content Literacy for Technical Subjects”, which was developed by The California Arts Project.
- Teaching Artist Support Collaborative of California (TASC)
TASC is a collaborative Community of Practice for teaching artists and the organizations that hire them, committed to the professional support of artists who are passionate about education and community engagement in schools, community settings and social service organizations.
Questions: Mary Rice | MRice@cde.ca.gov | 916-319-0270
Last Reviewed: Monday, September 12, 2016