CCSS Update: Volume I, Issue 19, December 18, 2012The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Update includes information regarding the implementation of the CCSS.
CCSS Lead Writers Provide New Resources
CCSS Writers Address Literature Instruction Concerns in Huffington Post
David Coleman and Sue Pimentel, lead writers of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English language arts (ELA) and literacy, in “The Role of Fiction in the High School English Language Arts Classroom” , an op-ed piece published in the Huffington Post last week, address concerns and confusion over the emphasis in the CCSS on informational text and the degree to which this affects instruction on literature and fictional texts.
Lead Writers of the CCSS Release New Professional Development Modules
Student Achievement Partners has released a series of free Professional Development Modules to support teachers, principals and others educators and leaders in their transition to the CCSS. Each Module is designed as a ‘ready-to-use’ toolkit and contains:
- Facilitator’s Guide to delivering the module
- PowerPoint Presentation (with and without facilitator notes)
- Hands-on activities, including handouts
- Videos, web resources, and other materials
The seven modules now available are:
- *New* Why the Common Core? How these Standards are Different: An overview of the background information necessary to understand why the CCSS were developed and how they are different from previous standards we have seen.
- Introduction to the ELA/Literacy Shifts: An introduction to the key shifts required by the CCSS for ELA and Literacy.
- *New* Introduction to the Literacy Shifts in the Content Areas: An introduction to the key shifts required by the CCSS for ELA and Literacy, specifically in the content areas (social studies, science, arts, etc.).
- Understanding Text Dependent Questions: A resource for strengthening educators’ understanding of how text-dependent questions support the key shifts called for by the CCSS for ELA and Literacy.
- Introduction to the Math Shifts: An introduction to the key shifts required by the CCSS for Mathematics.
- *New* Deep Dive into the Math Shifts: A deeper dive into the Math shifts for those familiar with the shifts required by the CCSS for Mathematics.
- Instructional Leadership and the Common Core: A guide for school-level instructional leaders for starting the work of implementing the Common Core in their school.
These modules are free and can be adapted to best suit your local needs. Feedback on these modules can be sent directly to: email@example.com.
Student Achievement Partners is a non-profit founded by three of the lead authors of the CCSS devoted to accelerating student achievement by all students by supporting effective implementation of the Common Core.
CCSS Update from CDE
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
Excerpted from CDE’s External Linking Policy: The CDE is providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the CDE or any association with the sites' operators.
To view past CCSS Updates, please visit the CCSS Resources Listserv Archive.
Subscribe: If you would like to receive information and updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CCSS Update from the CDE listserv by sending a “blank” message to
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from the CCSS Update from the CDE, send a "blank" message to
Subscribe: Join the SBAC CDE electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to