Smarter Balanced Field Test Flash #11 & #12
This is the Field Test Flash from the California Department of Education (CDE), providing updates about the upcoming Smarter Balanced Field Test. Please forward these announcements to all educators who want to stay apprised of the latest information about the Field Test. If you would like to receive Flash updates via e-mail notification, please subscribe to the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) listserv by sending a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field Test Flash #11
- Local educational agency (LEA) assignments for performance task topics and classroom activity materials for are now available on the California Smarter Balanced Field Test Classroom Activity and Content Area Assignments Web page
. The Web page provides two critical pieces of information:
- The assigned performance task topic for each school and grade
- The classroom activity materials associated with the assigned topic
To download the assignments, LEAs can select their county from the list to open the County Assignments Web page, and then select their LEA from the list of LEAs.
LEAs will need to download the classroom activity and distribute it to test administrators at least two or three days in advance of administering the activity to students. The Classroom Activity and Performance Task Administration Guidelines, available on the Field Test Portal , explain how to administer the classroom activity and performance task.
- Two additional documents were recently added to the Field Test Portal : the Resources and Practices Comparison Crosswalk and the Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments. The crosswalk lists the resources that are currently included in the Usability, Accessibility, and Accommodations Guidelines and assists educators and decision-makers by providing a description of both the resource and its classroom equivalent. The scribing protocols were designed to assist state staff, test administrators, educators, and scribes in ensuring scribing is standardized.
Field Test Flash #12
- Smarter Balanced has posted six new resources to the Field Test Portal :
- Smarter Balanced Field Test FAQ for Test Coordinators and Administrators: This document includes answers to questions that schools and districts have frequently sent to the Field Test Help Desk. These FAQs will be updated periodically.
- Guide to the Smarter Balanced Field Test: This factsheet is appropriate for sharing with parents, community leaders, and the general public.
- Getting Students Ready for the Field Test—Information on Item and Response Types: This document catalogues the various item types that students may encounter on the Smarter Balanced assessment, describes how students will respond to each item type, and lists where examples of each type of item can be found in the Practice and Training Tests.
- Accessibility Guide for Classroom Activities: This resource provides teachers with support options that may be implemented with students during the Classroom Activity, as needed, to ensure appropriate access to the information.
- Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader: These guidelines will assist state staff, test administrators, educators, and scribes in ensuring read aloud is conducted in a standardized fashion and contributes to valid measures of students’ progress toward college and career readiness.
- Test Administrator User Guide: This resource supports individuals using the Test Delivery System applications to manage testing for students participating in the Field Test.
For questions related to the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test, please contact the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC) by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Information can also be accessed through the CalTAC Web site For questions about this Field Test Flash, please contact the CDE CAASPP Office by phone at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you find these updates and resources helpful, please consider forwarding this message to others who might benefit from receiving more information about CCSS implementation in California. Anyone can join by simply sending a blank e-mail message to email@example.com.
CCSS Update from CDE
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
Excerpted from CDE’s External Linking Policy: The CDE is providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the CDE or any association with the sites' operators.
To view past CCSS Updates, please visit the CCSS Resources Listserv Archive.
Subscribe: If you would like to receive information and updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CCSS Update from the CDE listserv by sending a “blank” message to
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from the CCSS Update from the CDE, send a "blank" message to
Subscribe: Join the CDE Smarter Balanced e-mail list by sending a blank e-mail message to