CCSS Update: Volume III, Issue 14, April 29, 2014The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Update includes information regarding the implementation of the CCSS.
Opportunities to Participate
ELA/ELD Framework to be Posted for Second 60-day Review
The draft English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (ELA/ELD Framework) will be available for the second sixty-day public review period beginning April 30, 2014. We invite you and your colleagues to review the draft ELA/ELD Framework and submit comments to the framework mailbox at ELAFRAMEWORK@cde.ca.gov. Any content comments and recommended changes, additions, or edits should reference specific chapters, sections, and page numbers. All comments received will be forwarded to the State Board of Education (SBE) Office. The SBE is scheduled to take action on the ELA/ELD Framework at their July meeting. To facilitate public review and comment, the California Department of Education (CDE) will post the draft ELA/ELD Framework on the CDE English Language Arts Curriculum Framework Web page.
California EQuIP Rubric and Quality Review Training Session
The CDE and Achieve are pleased to announce a professional learning opportunity for California public school leaders, teachers, and higher education faculty. The two-day training will be held on May 28–29, 2014, at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel located at 6101 W Century Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045. The training will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on May 28th and 9 a.m. to noon on May 29th. The event will focus on using the EQuIP (Educators Evaluating the Quality of Instructional Products) rubrics for evaluating the quality of lessons and units aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
Districts are encouraged to create a team of attendees (teachers, curriculum leaders, assistant superintendents, and faculty from institutes of higher education) in the areas of English language arts, mathematics, and science. Attendees should be familiar with the CCSS or NGSS and bring lessons or units that can be reviewed at the meeting. There is no registration fee for this training, however, participants will be responsible for any travel and substitute costs. To participate in this training, please submit the attached application with your district or school team information by May 16, 2014, to the CalEQuIP mailbox at email@example.com [application available upon request to this mailbox prior to due date]. If you have any questions about this learning opportunity you may submit questions to the same mailbox.
Updated Instructional Materials FAQs
The CDE has updated the instructional materials frequently asked questions (FAQs) online. There are now 50 questions and answers posted. Many of the updates address instructional materials funding and the Local Control Funding Formula. To get all the latest information, please visit the CDE Instructional Materials FAQ Web page.
Field Test Flash #17
Smarter Balanced Field Test Flash #17
This is the Field Test Flash from the CDE, providing updates about the Smarter Balanced Field Test. Please forward these flash announcements to all educators who may want to stay apprised of the latest information about the Field Test. If you would like to receive Flash updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) listserv by sending a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to unsubscribe from the Flash listserv, send a blank message to email@example.com.
- Two online surveys are being distributed by Educational Testing Service to local educational agency (LEA) CAASPP coordinators across the state:
- Mid-testing survey: This survey was first distributed on April 8 to LEAs that had any schools with a testing window that opened on March 25. It was designed to provide an early look into LEAs’ testing progress, experience with the testing systems, best practices, and perceptions of readiness for online testing in 2015. Results will give decision makers a sense of additional resources that might be needed to prepare for online testing in 2015.
- Post-testing survey: Currently under development, this is a more comprehensive survey that every LEA CAASPP coordinator will have an opportunity to complete toward the end of testing in May and June.
- The TIDE Appeals Guidance document is now available on the Field Test portal (PDF). In addition, pages 65–7 of the Test Administration Manual now contain the updated information. The Appeals Guidance document describes for state leads and authorized school and district staff the conditions under which a test may be invalidated, reset, reopened, or restored. As a reminder, schools and districts should submit appeals only in extreme circumstances, as described in the Appeals Guidance document. State leads must approve or decline each appeal on the basis of the guidance and the context of the issue.
- Two new videos (Item Types on the Smarter Balanced Test and Best Practices for Successful Online Testing) are posted on the CalTAC Web site .
For questions related to the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test, please contact CalTAC by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information also can be accessed through the CalTAC Web site .
For questions about this Field Test Flash, please contact the CDE CAASPP Office at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
If you find these updates and resources helpful, please consider forwarding this message to others who might benefit from receiving more information about CCSS implementation in California. Anyone can join by simply sending a blank e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCSS Update from CDE
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
Excerpted from CDE’s External Linking Policy: The CDE is providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the CDE or any association with the sites' operators.
To view past CCSS Updates, please visit the CCSS Resources Listserv Archive.
Subscribe: If you would like to receive information and updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CCSS Update from the CDE listserv by sending a “blank” message to
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from the CCSS Update from the CDE, send a "blank" message to
Subscribe: Join the CDE Smarter Balanced e-mail list by sending a blank e-mail message to