Opportunities to Participate
SBE CCSS Agenda Items
The State Board of Education (SBE) will address five items related to Common Core State Standards (CCSS) systems implementation during its May 7–8, 2014 meeting, including the following topics:
- Update on the Activities of the California Department of Education (CDE) and SBE Regarding the Implementation of CCSS Systems.
- English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve, 2014 Revision: Update on the Revision of the Framework.
- Update on California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Activities, Including, but not limited to, the Spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test and National Center and State Collaborative Activities.
- CAASPP: Approve Commencement of a 15-Day Public Comment Period for Amendments to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Sections 850 – 868.
- English Language Arts/English Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption–Adopt Proposed California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9517.3.
To review these agenda items or watch the live Webcast, please visit the SBE Meeting for May 2014 Web page.
There is still time to complete the California School Libraries Survey
The annual CDE online school library survey will remain open through May 15, 2014, to collect information about school libraries from the 2012–13 school year. California Education Code Section 18122 directs local governing boards to report to the CDE on the condition of school libraries and this survey meets that requirement. The survey also provides districts the opportunity to assess whether their school libraries are ready for the rigor of the CCSS. The survey is available on the CDE Library Survey Web page. A password is required and is the same for everyone. It should be typed exactly as it appears here: @YourLibrary. If the school does not have a library, the survey is complete upon answering the first question. If you have any questions regarding the school library survey, please contact Renée Ousley-Swank, School Library Technology Consultant for the Instructional Resources Unit, by phone at 916-319-0449 or by e-mail at ROusleySwank@cde.ca.gov.
Field Test Flash #18
This is the Field Test Flash from the CDE, providing updates about the Smarter Balanced Field Test. Please forward these flash announcements to all educators who may want to stay apprised of the latest information about the Field Test. If you would like to receive Flash updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CAASPP listserv by sending a blank message to email@example.com. If you would like to unsubscribe from the Flash listserv, send a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Smarter Balanced invites California local educational agencies (LEAs) and school staff to preview the Digital Library from June 3 through September 30, 2014. During the preview, educators can become acquainted with the functionality of the Digital Library and view a limited set of initial resources that will help them understand the future utility of the Digital Library.
This preview is an exciting opportunity to try out user rating, review, and comment features as well as collaboration features that encourage conversation among educators across the consortium. Smarter Balanced welcomes widespread participation in this preview and encourages LEAs to register all interested educators and promote their use of the Digital Library this summer and during professional development activities at the start of the 2014–15 school year.
Complete instructions for LEAs and a template for user registration for the preview will be made available to LEAs in mid-May. Any questions about the Digital Library preview can be directed to email@example.com.
For questions related to the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test, please contact the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC) by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information also can be accessed through the CalTAC Web site .
For questions about this Field Test Flash, please contact the CDE CAASPP Office at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
If you find these updates and resources helpful, please consider forwarding this message to others who might benefit from receiving more information about CCSS implementation in California. Anyone can join by simply sending a blank e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCSS Update from CDE
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
Excerpted from CDE’s External Linking Policy: The CDE is providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the CDE or any association with the sites' operators.
To view past CCSS Updates, please visit the CCSS Resources Listserv Archive.
Subscribe: If you would like to receive information and updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CCSS Update from the CDE listserv by sending a “blank” message to
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from the CCSS Update from the CDE, send a "blank" message to
Subscribe: Join the CDE Smarter Balanced e-mail list by sending a blank e-mail message to