CCSS Update: Volume III, Issue 12, April 8, 2014The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Update includes information regarding the implementation of the CCSS.
Field Test Flash #13 & #14
Smarter Balanced Field Test Flash #13 & #14
This is the Field Test Flash from the California Department of Education (CDE), providing updates about the upcoming Smarter Balanced Field Test. Please forward these flash announcements to all educators who may want to stay apprised of the latest information about the Field Test. If you would like to receive Flash updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) listserv by sending a blank message to email@example.com. If you would like to unsubscribe from the Flash listserv, send a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Session ID & Test Selection Instructions for Test Administrators that will assist Test Administrators with starting test sessions for the California Smarter Balanced Field Test Administration is now available. The document is designed to help Test Administrators navigate the Test Administrator Interface, create session IDs, and select non-performance task forms and performance tasks for the Smarter Balanced Field Test assessment.
- A parent and guardian notification letter template, previously available in English and in Spanish, is now available in nine additional languages on the CDE Smarter Balanced Field Test Communications Web page. Local educational agencies (LEAs) can use this letter to inform parents and guardians about the administration of the Field Test, including its purpose and where to find further information. The template is now available in the following languages:
- Armenian (Eastern)
- Chinese (simplified and traditional)
- Pilipino (Tagalog)
- The Online Reporting System (ORS) User Guide is now available. The ORS enables authorized users to view test progress information for students participating in the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test. The ORS provides information such as state-, district-, and school-level participation reports that enable users to determine which students have completed testing and which students have yet to begin or complete testing. The ORS User Guide provides information about the ORS features that are available to authorized state, district, and school personnel.
- As the Field Test begins, it is important for LEA CAASPP coordinators, CAASPP test site coordinators, and test administrators to be familiar with test security protocols outlined in the California Online Field Test Administration Manual, specifically Section 3.0 and Appendix B. In particular:
- Before and during testing, persons authorized to handle test items and test materials must keep them secure and handle them appropriately, including creating a secure testing environment for what students can see, hear, or access (including access via personal technology such as a cell phone).
- Also before and during testing, test administrators should keep in mind that the secure browser has been designed to help ensure that a student’s Internet connection allows access only to the Field Test. However, the test administrator is ultimately responsible for monitoring and reporting any inappropriate Internet access or any other improper display, printing, photographing, duplicating, or sharing of test questions.
- During testing, the test administrator must monitor students taking the test to make sure that a breach of the secure browser has not allowed students to access external sites or other resources on their testing device during the assessment.
- In the event of a security breach, such as a release of secure materials or a repeatable security/system risk, the LEA CAASPP coordinator should notify the CDE within 24 hours using the Security Breach and Testing Regularity Report Form .
For questions related to the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test, please contact the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC) by phone at 800-955-2954 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Information also can be accessed through the CalTAC Web site .
For questions about this Field Test Flash, please contact the CDE CAASPP Office at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you find these updates and resources helpful, please consider forwarding this message to others who might benefit from receiving more information about CCSS implementation in California. Anyone can join by simply sending a blank e-mail message to email@example.com.
CCSS Update from CDE
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
Excerpted from CDE’s External Linking Policy: The CDE is providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the CDE or any association with the sites' operators.
To view past CCSS Updates, please visit the CCSS Resources Listserv Archive.
Subscribe: If you would like to receive information and updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CCSS Update from the CDE listserv by sending a “blank” message to
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from the CCSS Update from the CDE, send a "blank" message to
Subscribe: Join the CDE Smarter Balanced e-mail list by sending a blank e-mail message to