Assembly Bill 484 Signed into Law
Signed into law on October 2, 2013, Assembly Bill 484 (Bonilla) establishes the California Measurement of Academic Performance and Progress (CalMAPP) assessment system. The CalMAPP system replaces the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. AB 484 calls for the transition to a system of assessments and assessment tools that cover the full breadth and depth of the curriculum. This transition will take several years to complete.
For the 2013–14 school year, CalMAPP is comprised of the following:
- Field test of the consortium (i.e., Smarter Balanced) summative assessment for English–language arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight and grade eleven. Each participating student will take either an ELA or mathematics field test.
- Grade-level science assessments, including the California Standards Tests (CSTs), California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA), and the California Modified Assessment (CMA), in grades five, eight, and ten
- CAPA for ELA and mathematics in grades two through eleven
- Voluntary for grade eleven students, the Early Assessment Program in ELA and mathematics
- Optional for local educational agencies (LEAs) to administer, the Standards-based Tests in Spanish (Further information about grade levels and subjects will be forthcoming.)
The chaptered version of AB 484 can be accessed on the California Legislative Information Web page .
Questions and Answers regarding AB 484 are available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Smarter Balanced Web page. Further questions about AB 484 should be directed to AB484@cde.ca.gov.
New CCSS Professional Learning Module Available from the CDE
The CDE is pleased to announce the release of the CCSS: Literacy in Science online professional learning module . This module provides teachers, kindergarten through grade twelve, with information, strategies, exemplars, videos, and resources to integrate science content with reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities. Educators who engage with the learning in this module will take an important step toward connecting student learning in science to the knowledge and skills for success in college and career in the 21st century. The CCSS: Literacy in Science module was developed in collaboration with WestEd, the Orange County Department of Education, the California Science Project, the San Diego County Office of Education, and the Riverside County Office of Education.
Additional professional learning modules will be available in the coming months. For more information, please visit the CDE CCSS Professional Learning Modules for Educators Web page.
CDE Smarter Balanced Field Test Web Page Now Available
The Smarter Balanced Field Test will take place March 18 through June 6, 2014. The CDE now has a Web page dedicated to providing information about the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test. The Smarter Balanced Field Test Web page describes the purpose of the Field Test as well as the benefits that participation will provide to students, teachers, administrators, and LEAs. In addition, the Field Test Web page contains a link to questions and answers that address such topics as:
- Who will take the Field Test?
- What are the minimum technology requirements for the Field Test?
- How long will the Field Test take to administer?
- Will schools be able to select the content area(s) they administer during the Field Test?
- Will there be a paper-and-pencil version of the Field Test?
If you find these updates and resources helpful, please consider forwarding this message to others who might benefit from receiving more information about CCSS implementation in California. Anyone can join by simply sending a blank e-mail message to email@example.com.
CCSS Update from CDE
1430 N Street, Suite 5602
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
Excerpted from CDE’s External Linking Policy: The CDE is providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the CDE or any association with the sites' operators.
To view past CCSS Updates, please visit the CCSS Resources Listserv Archive.
Subscribe: If you would like to receive information and updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the CCSS Update from the CDE listserv by sending a “blank” message to
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from the CCSS Update from the CDE, send a "blank" message to
Subscribe: Join the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium CDE electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to