The California Department of Education supports high-quality educational programs for California's diverse student population through its educational leadership role and places great importance on cultivating a diverse staff that understands and promotes the intellectual, ethical, cultural, emotional, and physical growth of each student. The California Department of Education, Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) is charged with ensuring compliance with State and Federal civil rights laws, and regulations in CDE employment and delivery of education services.
- Duty to Protect Students
- Nondiscrimination In Public Schools Brochure (DOC; Posted 03-Jul-2012)
- Free Appropriate Education to Students with Disabilities
- Gender Equity/Title IX (Updated 20-Sep-2013)
- Resolution of discrimination and harassment complaints
Uniform Complaints Procedures for pupils, parents, teachers, and community.
- Civil Rights Requirement for Career Technical and Education (CTE) Programs
- Athletes' Bill of Rights (English)
Athletes' Bill of Rights (Spanish) - Derochos del Atleta (Espanol)
Enumerates the rights available to a pupil relating to gender equity in athletics.
- Language Services - Providing services to non or limited-English speaking individuals.
- Education Equity Reviews (Statewide Monitoring) - Monitoring for education equity.
Resources and Information
- Curricula and Lesson Plans
Subjects of discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying require a comprehensive approach that is more in-depth from isolated lessons. For a list of research validated and evidence-based programs, please visit the California Healthy Kids Resource Center .
- Organizations that Support Youth
List of California organizations providing support to the youth and their families who have been subjected to school-related discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying. If any other organizations should be included on one or more of the regional lists below, please contact Toni Valadez or Anthony Bargas at 916-445-9174.
- Region 1 - Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino, and Sonoma Counties
- Region 2 - Butte, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, and Trinity Counties
- Region 3 - Alpine, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba Counties
- Region 4 - Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Solano Counties
- Region 5 - Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz Counties
- Region 6 - Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne Counties
- Region 7 - Fresno, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, and Tulare Counties
- Region 8 - Kern, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura Counties
- Region 9 - Imperial, Orange, and San Diego Counties
- Region 10 - Inyo, Mono, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties
- Region 11 - Los Angeles County
The California Department of Education (CDE) provides these lists of support organizations for individuals or families seeking assistance with discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying questions or concerns. In providing these links, the CDE does not endorse and makes no guarantees or warranties whatsoever concerning the linked websites nor any organizations or individuals associated with these websites. Individuals or families considering utilizing any of these support organizations are encouraged to conduct sufficient research to determine which organization(s) are suitable for their specific situation and needs.
The State of California, Department of Education (CDE), is committed to ensuring equal, fair, and meaningful access to employment and education services. The CDE does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis and/or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics of age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy and related conditions, race, religion, retaliation, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, Vietnam Era Veterans’ status, or any other basis prohibited by California state and federal nondiscrimination laws respectively. Not all bases of discrimination will apply to both education services and employment. The Office of Equal Opportunity is charged with overseeing, leading, and directing the CDE’s efforts to meet the legal obligations set forth in state and federal civil rights laws, and regulations in CDE employment and delivery of education services. Inquiries regarding nondiscrimination and civil rights should be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
California Department of Education Links
Links to other California Department of Education division and office Web pages with programs dealing with....
- English Learners
- American Indians (Native Americans)
- Career Technical Education (CTE)
- Safe School Environment
- Comprehensive Sexual Health & HIV/AIDS Awareness
- Special Education
- Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP)