OrganizationDepartment offices and links to Web pages where more information is available.
A one-page overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) with branches and divisions.
For telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of employees, visit the online CDE Staff Telephone Directory [http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/sd/].
Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
Chief Deputy Superintendents of Public Instruction -- Glen Price and Michelle Zumot
- Office of the State Superintendent
- Communications Division -- Bill Ainsworth, Director
- Government Affairs Division -- Monique Ramos, Director
- Local Agency Systems Support -- Jeff Breshears, Education Administrator
- Office of Equal Opportunity -- Sharon Felix-Rochon, Director
- Superintendent's Initiatives Office -- Rebecca Barrett and Jason Spencer, Principal Advisors to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Legal, Audits, & Compliance -- Amy Bisson Holloway, General Counsel
Branches and Divisions
District, School & Innovation Branch -- Keric Ashley, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting innovation and improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data, and charter schools.
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Michelle Center, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Jerry Winkler, Director
- Improvement & Accountability Division -- Bob Storelli, Director
Instruction & Learning Support Branch -- Lupita Cortez Alcalá, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Promotes the policy and budget priorities of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction before the Legislature, Congress, and the state and federal Administrations, and provides guidance and support for the development and oversight of high quality charter schools.
- Career & College Transition Division -- Russell Weikle Jr., Director
- Early Education & Support Division -- Debra McMannis, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Tom Adams, Director
- English Learner Support Division -- Veronica Aguila, Director
- Professional Learning Support Division -- Carrie Roberts, Director
Services for Administration, Finance, Technology & Infrastructure Branch -- Nick Schweizer, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Charter Schools Division -- Cindy Chan, Director
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Roxanne Eres, Director
- Personnel Services Division -- Sharon Taylor, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Vacant
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Peter Foggiato, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Kevin Matsuo, Director
Student Support & Special Services Branch -- William Ellerbee, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Provides leadership, guidance, training, and resources that support opportunities for students to become healthy, productive, and lifelong learners.
- After School Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Coordinated Student Support Division -- Gordon Jackson, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Sandip Kaur, Director
- Special Education Division -- Fred Balcom, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Scott Kerby, Director