A one-page overview of the entire California Department of Education (CDE) with branches and divisions.
For telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of employees, visit the online CDE Staff Telephone Directory [http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/sd/].
Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Director of Education
- Superintendent's Intiatives Office - Craig Cheslog
Richard Zeiger, Chief Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Legal, Audits, & Compliance -- Amy Bisson Holloway, General Counsel
- Office of the State Superintendent
Branches and Divisions
District, School & Innovation Branch -- Deb Sigman, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees programs promoting innovation and improved student achievement. Programs include statewide student assessment, school and district interventions, state and federal accountability, collection and reporting of educational data, and charter schools.
- Analysis, Measurement & Accountability Reporting Division -- Keric Ashley, Director
- Assessment Development & Administration Division -- Diane Hernandez, Director
- Charter Schools Division -- Julie Russell, Director
- Educational Data Management Division -- Cindy Kazanis, Director
- Improvement & Accountability Division -- Christine Swenson, Director
Instruction & Learning Support Branch -- Lupita Cortez Alcalá, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Promotes the policy and budget priorities of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction before the Legislature, Congress, and the state and federal Administrations, and provides guidance and support for the development and oversight of high quality charter schools.
- Career & College Transition Division -- Russell Weikle Jr., Director
- Child Development Division -- Debra McMannis, Director
- Curriculum Frameworks & Instructional Resources Division -- Tom Adams, Director
- English Learner Support Division -- Karen Cadiero-Kaplan, Director
- Professional Learning Support Division -- Phil Lafontaine, Director
Services for Administration, Finance, Technology & Infrastructure Branch -- Jeannie Oropeza, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Oversees the CDE budget, accounting, information systems, and personnel services; apportionment of state and federal resources to local educational agencies (LEAs); and assistance to LEAs for fiscal and business aspects of public schools.
- Fiscal & Administrative Services Division -- Roxanne Eres, Director
- Personnel Services Division -- Sharon Taylor, Director
- School Facilities & Transportation Services Division -- Kathleen Moore, Director
- School Fiscal Services Division -- Peter Foggiato, Director
- Technology Services Division -- Kevin Matsuo, Director
Student Support & Special Services Branch -- William Ellerbee, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction
Provides leadership, guidance, training, and resources that support opportunities for students to become healthy, productive, and lifelong learners.
- After School Division -- Michael R. Funk, Director
- Coordinated Student Support & Adult Education Division -- Gordon Jackson, Director
- Nutrition Services Division -- Sandip Kaur, Director
- Special Education Division -- Fred Balcom, Director
- State Special Schools & Services Division -- Scott Kerby, Director