2011-12 Tracking of Programs and StudentsTracking of programs and students end-of-year data submission instructions for 2011-12.
All California Workforce Investment Act (WIA), Title II Sections 225/231 and English Literacy and Civics (EL Civics) funded agencies must submit data and other information to the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) by August 15, 2012. All deliverables must be received by CASAS on or before this date.
In order to be in full compliance of the WIA, Title II grant, all agencies must complete Steps 1 through 5 below:
STEP 1: Complete the Adult Education Personnel Wizard Before Submitting Data
- In the Tracking of Programs and Students (TOPSpro™) software, under the Wizards menu, click Adult Education Personnel Wizard.
- Ensure that 2011–12 appears in the program year (PY) field and that your agency name appears in the agency field. Click Next.
- Enter the number of adult education personnel in your WIA, Title II and/or EL Civics programs for each category. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
STEP 2: Verify Your TOPSpro™ Setup
- For the Workforce Investment Act, Title II and English Literacy and Civics Education Funded Agencies.
- From the Tools menu, select Options, and click the Provider tab. Ensure “CA” appears in the state field and a TOPSpro™ user name is present. If not, enter the information, click OK, then exit and reopen TOPSpro™.
- Open the Agency Lister and the Agency Record. Under Funding Sources, ensure your agency’s proper funding areas (do not copy sample below). Make changes if necessary and save.
- For English Literacy and Civics Education Funded Agencies Only
- In the TOPSpro™ Class Lister, open the records for your EL Civics classes. Make sure that you have selected Civic Participation and/or Citizenship Preparation as appropriate.
- Check to make sure that you downloaded all approved additional assessments to your TOPSpro™ installation. If not, go to the Wizards menu, select the Additional Assessments Import Wizard, and follow the steps.
- For more information related to the EL Civics, visit CASAS and click on the EL Civics link on the right-side menu.
- For 231 English as a Second Language Citizenship Funded Agencies Only
- In the TOPSpro™ Class Lister, open the records for your English as a Second Language (ESL) Citizenship classes. Make sure that you have selected 231 ESL Citizenship as appropriate.
STEP 3: Submit your Tracking of Programs and Students™ Data Electronically or by Mail
All WIA, Title II funded agencies must send end-of-year TOPSpro™ data either electronically, or by a mailed Disk or CD.
- Electronic Data Submission: For agencies with internet access and TOPSpro™ Version 5.1 Build 3 or higher.
- Open TOPSpro™. Log on as Local (no password required).
- Click Wizards and select Import/Export.
- Select Export this system’s data for use on another system. Click Next.
- Select Export Tables for Electronic Data Submission. Click Next.
- When you see your Agency ID, click Next.
- Click Finish. TOPSpro™ will now compress your student data files, which may take a few minutes. When you receive a message saying that the export file has been successfully saved, click OK.
- TOPSpro™ will then encrypt your data and export it to CASAS through a secure connection. You will receive a Transmission Successful or Transmission Failed message. If the transmission fails, you must submit data by Disk or CD.
- If the transmission is successful your agency’s primary contact will receive an e-mail receipt from CASAS within one week. The WIA, Title II funded agencies must also submit all of the other deliverables, in addition to the TOPSpro™ data.
- Data Submission by Mail
- Open TOPSpro™. Log in as Local (no password required).
- Select Wizards and select Import/Export.
- Select Export this system’s data for use on another system, and click Next.
- Select Export Tables for Data Submission (on Disk or CD) and click Next.
- Select Export both Student and Consumer Data and click Next. Select ALL tables to export, click on Include Incomplete Records, and click Next.
- All of the date ranges should be July 1, 2011, to June 30, 2012 (the entire PY).
- Select all of your agency’s sites and click Next. If you get messages that you have no records for some of the tables, click OK.
- Select Save data on Disk or 3.5 inch Disk.
- If saving onto floppy disk, click on the Select Floppy Drive button (icon on the left). Do not change the default file name, click Next. When you see the screen with the checkered flag, click Finish.
- If saving onto CD, Zip Disk or USB Flash Drive, click on the Select Hard Drive button (icon on the right), click on the Desktop icon, click Save (do not change file name), and then click Next. At the screen with the checkered flag, click Finish.
- When you see the message Export file successfully created and saved, click OK and close TOPSpro™.
- You must then copy the files saved to your desktop onto the CD, Zip Disk or USB Flash Drive. Otherwise, your data will not be sent to CASAS.
- Send Disk(s) with all hard copy end-of-year requirements to CASAS. Please use padded or protected envelopes when sending data by mail. Your agency’s Primary Contact will receive an e-mail confirmation once CASAS receives and processes your submission.
STEP 4: Instructions for Printing Required Reports
All WIA, Title II 225/231 and EL Civics agencies must print out and submit a Data Integrity Report and Payment Points Summary Report for PY 2011–12.
- Data Integrity Report
- Open TOPSpro™ and log in as Local (no password required). Click Reports, select Data and Class Management, slide your mouse pointer to Data Integrity and select Data Integrity by Agency.
- In the New Report Data Integrity window, make sure that your dates are for the entire PY: July 1, 2011, to June 30, 2012.
- Select all classes and all sites for your agency.
- Click the Print icon and print a hard copy of the report. You can mail or fax to 858-292-2910, or e-mail the report as a PDF attachment to email@example.com.
- Payment Points Summary Report
- Open TOPSpro™ and log in as Local (no password required). Click Reports, select State Reports, and click Payment Points Summary.
- Select the activity dates for the entire 2011–12 PY (July 1, 2011, to
- June 30, 2012), and make sure that all classes and all sites are included. Be sure to verify that your agency selected the correct funding areas.
- Click the Print icon and print a hard copy of the report. You can mail or fax to 858-292-2910 or e-mail the report as a PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 5: Instructions for Completing the End-of-Year Data Submission Certification Letter (Attachment 2) and Submitting all Requirements to the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System
- Complete the Certification Letter (Attachment 2 of the End-of-Year Letter sent by the California Department of Education) by checking off all of the requirements and obtaining the signature of an authorized individual at your agency. A hard copy of the Certification Letter must be mailed as it requires an original signature.
- Send your data disk (if you did not submit electronically), printed reports (if not faxed or e-mailed), and the completed End-of-Year Data Submission Certification Letter to:
2011–12 End-of-Year Data Submission
5151 Murphy Canyon Road, Suite 220
San Diego, CA 92123
- Please submit all deliverables to ensure that everything is received by CASAS on or before August 15, 2012.
If you have any questions regarding the end-of-year data submission process, please contact the CASAS Technical Support, by phone at 1-800-255-1036 or by e-mail at email@example.com.