Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

July 2011 Meeting Minutes

American Indian Education Oversight Committee July 20, 2011 meeting minutes.

American Indian Education Oversight Committee

Meeting Minutes July 20, 2011

Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Noon to 5 p.m.
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Room 1801
Sacramento, CA 95814

Teleconferencing Locations:

Four Winds of Indian Education
2345 Fair Street
Chico, CA 95928

Pala Learning Center
2003 Pala Mission Circle
35008 Pala Temecula Road
Pala, CA 92059

Yurok Tribe Early Education Program
300 Minot Road
Klamath, CA 95548


This committee shall provide input and advice to the Superintendent on all aspects of American Indian education programs established by the state.

American Indian Education Oversight Committee Members

Laura Lee George, Chair (present)
Amber Machamer, Vice Chair (present)
Andre Cramblit, Parliamentarian (absent, excused)
*Irma Amaro (present)
Deborah DeForge (present)
Helen L. Doherty (present)
*John Focke (present)
Matthew Franklin (absent, unexcused)
*Rodney Lindsay (present)
Marc Luker (absent, unexcused)
Kathleen Marshall (absent, excused)
*Rachel McBride (present)
Bessie Shorty (present)

*Denotes American Indian Education Center Director

Agenda Items

Meeting called to order by Laura Lee George, Chairperson, at noon.

Roll call; notes above.

Approval of Current Agenda—Action

Moved to approve: Helen; Seconded: Rod; unanimous to approve

Approval of Minutes—Action

Moved to approve with minor corrections: Deb; Seconded: Rachel; unanimous to approve. Deb will forward corrections to Judy.

Public Comment

Item 1

Subject: California Department of Education (CDE) Updates. Including but not limited to, staffing changes, American Indian Education Center 2011-12 grant award amounts.

Presenter: Brian Centeno, Judy Delgado

Brian Centeno:

  • The State budget was approved on time. They will post the 2011/12 allocations via CDE Web.
  • 75% of P-98 funds will be released in October; the final 25% will be released in April. The same is true for the non-P-98 funds.
  • Irma question: Why October instead of 6-8 weeks after budget signed as usual?
  • Rachel question: Who does disbursements since we have no fiscal person?
  • Awards will be based on grant award letters for non-P-98 funding.
  • American Indian Education Oversight Committee (AIEOC) Members need to return responses to Superintendent Torlakson by 7/25/2011 as per e-mail. Bessie didn't receive e-mail.
  • Christy Gunsolley passed away suddenly.
  • CDE has offered Chavela Delp the opportunity to return to the American Indian Education Center (AIEC).
  • Question: Does that mean to Migrant/Indian Office?
  • Deb question: Isn’t there a hiring freeze that would affect hiring new staff?
  • Phil: SROA list; we hire from that list; there is a temporary hiring freeze (partial)
  • Rachel question: There is a short-term and temporary list?
  • Phil: 50 person transition team working on reorganization. Originally Chavela’s position was eliminated.
  • Rod question: What is timeline?
  • Phil: It was supposed to be May, then August, now may be September. No more cuts in education now; maybe more cuts in September after election.
  • Irma question: What is AIEOC’s role in seeing that the Office of Indian Education goes back to a FTE Consultant and Analyst? We don’t want to wait. History: We had a Director, 2 FTE Consultants and a FTE Analyst. Then in 2005 we had a FTE Consultant and ½ FTE Analyst. Now we have partial FTEs in different office/departments.
  • Phil: The administration has separate program and fiscal; there are times when they have to be separate.
  • Laura Lee question: To summarize, we took a 50% cut from 2005-2011, now have staff in different units. Can we provide an advisory to the Superintendent to put us back the way we were?
  • Irma question: We get questions from AIEC Directors about the process. We have suffered, communication has been lost, no response to fiscal questions, no CDE meetings with AIEC Directors, no timely responses, no evaluation data, no technical assistance, no legislative updates, no budget and CDE updates, no annual report, (Judy has 0708 data, then flex legislation, so no more data). With separation, we will have spread out and lost materials and back-up. For AIEOC annual report, we need data.
  • We need to continue to share information with AIEC Directors; we need our FTE positions and we need them in the same unit.
  • We need this because we are responsible for not just the AIECs but for all American Indian Education and much of that is not part of the AIECs.
  • (Moved for Deb to send these notes to Laura Lee (to send memo to Superintendent Torlakson): Rachel; Seconded: Helen; unanimous to approve)
  • Brian: I was thinking of help to communicate, maybe a newsletter.
  • Kathleen: The Superintendent will be visiting Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians’ Cultural Camp on 7/30/2011. On the 9/8/11 agenda we could report on the visit.
  • Deb comment: The meeting date and time change were a concern to committee members.
  • Amber comment: We made a schedule; we need to stick with that schedule.
  • Phil: We weren't made aware of previous decisions.  

Item 2

Subject: State Board of Education Native American Advisory Committee Status

Presenter: Judy Delgado

  • Judy: The SBE moved and approved to appoint a SBE American Indian Education Advisory Committee. More details will be forthcoming as to process and timeline.

Item 3

Subject: Implementation of Striving Readers Grant in California

Presenter: Phil Lafontaine

  • Phil: Striving Readers has two phases; USDOE SRCL Planning Grant and USDOE SRCL Implementation Grant.

  • PowerPoint presentation hand-out provided with slides.

Item 4

Subject: AB 404-Native American Language Preservation. Introduced by Assembly member Gatto. Coauthors: Assembly Members Chesbro, Galgiani, and V. Manuel Pérez.

Presenter: From Assembly member Mike Gatto’s office:

John D. Ferrera, Chief of Staff
Aaron Moreno, Legislative Director
Frank Molina, Lobbyist

  • AB404 was established for preservation of Native American languages. It was funded to accept money. The Assembly Member is a voracious reader and learned that so many indigenous languages are in danger of extinction. They have been meeting with many people, and don’t want to take this out of California.
  • Helen question: This is out of the Assembly; will it go to the Senate in 2012? (Y).
  • There is no appropriation; it is language only at this point.
  • Laura Lee comment: Indian programs are getting pressure from other departments due to budget cuts everywhere.
  • Aaron: This legislation needs a separate funding stream.
  • General comment: AICLS needs input. 

(10 minute break: 2:10pm – 2:20pm)

Item 5

Subject: Information regarding the Implications of the Common Core Standards

Presenter: Tom Adams, Director

Standards, Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources Division

  • Two handouts
  • Next steps: Working with other states to do planning. We will meet in Minnesota in August. The end of August will be a stakeholders’ meeting.
  • In September we will produce a revised plan then another version with time for public comment.
  • Currently California has more standards than would be on Smarter Balance 2015.
  • John question: Should there be exit similarities across the US?
  • Liz: There is less stress on word problems and more on having the student explain how they did something. Look at the literacy strand.
  • The Campaign for High School Equity (CHSE) (BGates) is running with CCSS.
  • Public input is wanted and is a high priority.
  • Tier 1 states are getting a head start on the money. California is one.
  • A question was asked as to how new people get on the state coalition; the answer was not known.

Item 6

Subject: Tribal Education Departments National Assembly Proposed Statutory Language for the Reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act

Presenter: Judy Delgado

  • This is proposed language for re-authorization of TEDNA (handout). Greg Masten will be at our next AIEOC meeting to discuss and answer questions.
  • Comments are from U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan at Town Hall Session with Tribal Leaders 12/15/2010.

Moved to adjourn: Rod; Seconded: Helen; unanimous to approve. 5:00pm.

Questions: Judy Delgado | | 916-319-0506 
Last Reviewed: Monday, May 4, 2015

Share this Page

Recently Posted in American Indian

No items posted in the last 60 days.