May 2011 Meeting AgendaMay 19, 2011 meeting agenda of the American Indian Education Oversight Committee.
American Indian Education Oversight Committee Meeting Agenda
Thursday, May 19, 2011
10 a.m. to noon
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Room 4412
Sacramento, CA 95814
This committee shall provide input and advice to the Superintendent on all aspects of American Indian education programs established by the state.
- Approval of Current Agenda—Action
- Approval of Minutes—Action
- CDE Updates—Information
- Discussion concerning the identification of instructional strategies aimed at increasing the academic achievement of California’s American Indian Students
- Discussion concerning the development of curriculum materials specific to California Indian Tribes
- Discussion concerning an increased role of the AIEOC in providing advice to the Superintendent on educating American Indian children/students
- American Indian Advisory Commission on Indian Education
- Common Core Standards Initiative Update—Information
- Committee Business
- CDE/AIEOC correspondence and organizational structure
Statute for American Indian Education Oversight Committee
California Education Code Section 33370 (g): The Superintendent, with input from existing center directors, shall appoint an American Indian Education Oversight Committee by January 30, 2007, composed of at least seven educators, four of whom shall be American Indian education center directors. All members shall possess proven knowledge of current educational policies relating to, and issues faced by, American Indian communities in California. This committee shall provide input and advice to the Superintendent on all aspects of American Indian education programs established by the state.
All times are approximate and are provided for convenience only. The order of business may be changed without notice. Anyone interested in a particular matter should plan on being in attendance. The Oversight Committee will commence, recess, and reconvene as necessary throughout the meeting. Time is set aside for individuals to speak on any topic NOT otherwise on the agenda. In all cases, the presiding officer reserves the right to impose time limits on presentations as may be necessary to ensure that the agenda is completed.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided for any individual with a disability. Pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, any individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to attend or participate in a meeting or function of the task force may request assistance by contacting the Migrant, Indian, and International Education Office at 1430 N Street, Suite 6408, Sacramento, CA, 95814; telephone 916-319-0851; fax 916-319-0139.
For more information concerning this agenda, please contact the Educational Options, Student Support, and American Indian Education Office at 916-323-2183. This agenda is posted at California Department of Education, American Indian Oversight Committee Public Meeting Agendas and Minutes.