Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) State Plan
October 1, 2013, to September 30, 2015
Attention: All Parties Interested in California's Child Care and Development Services
Every two years, the federal government requires states, territories, and tribes that receive funds through the federal Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) to prepare and submit a plan detailing how these funds will be allocated and expended. The California Department of Education (CDE) has been designated in state law to be the lead agency that is responsible for administering the CCDF in California and, therefore, is required to submit the CCDF State Plan.
Enclosed is a summary of California’s proposed CCDF State Plan (Plan). The final Plan must be submitted to the federal government on July 1, 2013. This summary highlights the Plan’s major provisions, activities and services. This proposed Plan is in compliance with current state law and regulations. If and when new laws are enacted, the Plan will be amended accordingly.
The complete final CCDF State Plan is available as of October 2013.
Individuals who do not have access to the Internet should be able to obtain access at most local public library branches throughout California.This announcement includes the following:
- Description of the public hearing process
- Guidelines for public testimony, whether verbal or written
- Hearing and testimony time frames, and instructions for submitting written testimony
- Four-page summary of the Plan with a two-page listing of the Quality Improvement Plan budget
Public Hearing Process
As part of the State Plan preparation process, federal law requires the lead agency to convene a public hearing to provide an opportunity for the public to comment on the provision of child care services and quality improvement activities under the Plan before it is submitted to the federal government. In accordance with these requirements, the public hearing will take place as follows:
Monday, April 22, 2013
1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Room 1101
Sacramento, CA 95814-5901
If you need directions to the public hearing, please contact Marguerite Ries, Consultant, Child Development Division, at 916-322-4883 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Guidelines For Public Testimony Whether Verbal or Written
The focus of the public hearings is exclusively on the draft State Plan and testimony, whether verbal or written, and must only address its contents. To assist in preparing testimony, the following guidance clarifies what is to be included.
The public hearing is:
- An opportunity for individuals and organizations to provide comments on specific items contained in the proposed Plan. Please reference the section number, heading, and page number in each comment.
- An opportunity to indicate support, opposition, suggested changes, additions, or deletions pertaining to specific items. Please offer constructive solutions in your statement.
The public hearing is not:
- A forum to recommend law or regulation changes. These comments should be addressed through the legislative process.
- A forum to discuss any of the proposals currently under discussion in the legislative process or to advocate for any specific proposed legislative bills. These comments should be saved for legislative hearings.
- A forum to discuss how funds are allocated by the State Legislature for child care and development programs. Those concerns should be addressed in legislative budget hearings.
- A forum to describe general problems or concerns about California’s child care and development services delivery system. Those concerns should be addressed to the California Department of Education.
All comments or testimony, whether in writing or presented orally at the public hearing, must be related to specific items in the proposed Plan. Commenter’s and testifiers must identify the section number, heading, and page number of the Plan upon which they are commenting. Testimony or comments that do not reference specific sections in the Plan may not be considered or reviewed.
Hearing and Testimony Timeframes
The public hearing will begin promptly at 1:00 p.m. Those persons wishing to testify will be asked to sign in upon arrival and will be called forward to testify in the order in which persons signed in. Each testifier will have four minutes to present. The public hearing will continue until 4:00 p.m. unless all persons wishing to testify have had an opportunity to do so, in which case, the hearing may be closed before 4:00 p.m.
Please bring five written copies of your testimony with you to the hearing.
How to Submit Written Testimony
In addition to testimony at the public hearings, written testimony will be accepted, and submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail. All written comments must be received by 5:00 p.m. on June 1, 2013.
By Mail: Written comments on the proposed State Plan should be addressed to:
State Plan Public Hearing Coordinator
Child Development Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 3410
Sacramento, CA 95814
By E-Mail: Please use the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Fax: Please use the following fax number for written comments: 916-323-6853
The purpose of the Federal Child Care and Development Fund is to increase the availability, affordability, and quality of early care and education services. Your comments and suggestions will help ensure that the CCDF State Plan being proposed will fulfill this purpose.
If you have any questions about the CCDF State Plan public hearings, please contact Marguerite Ries, Consultant, Early Education and Support Division, by phone at 916-322-4855, by fax at 916-323-4883, or by e-mail at email@example.com.