Input Opportunities for CCDF State Plan
Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) State Plan
July 1, 2016 to September 30, 2018
Attention: All Parties Interested in California's Child Care and Development Services
On November 19, 2014, the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDGG) was reauthorized (PDF). The Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) is a component of the block grant. Every three years, the federal government requires states, territories, and tribes that receive funds through the federal CCDF to prepare and submit a plan detailing how these funds will be allocated and expended. The California Department of Education (CDE) has been designated in state law to be the lead agency that is responsible for administering the CCDF in California and, therefore, is required to submit the CCDF State Plan.
Given that there are a number of new changes included in the reauthorization law, the CDE held three public hearings to gather input for the 2016–18 CCDF State Plan. The first hearing took place before the draft State Plan was written on January 9, 2015. The second hearing took place on October 8, 2016 after the Office of Child Care released the final CCDF State Plan "Preprint." The final hearing took place on January 12, 2016. The new final “Preprint” is available for public comment at the following Web pages:
Response to 2016-18 CCDF State Plan Final Preprint (PDF; 1MB; Updated 24-Mar-2016)
These responses were submitted to the Office of Child Care on March 11, 2016.
2016-18 CCDF State Plan Preprint Final Template (PDF; Updated 23-Dec-2015)
Proposed Information Collection Activity; Comment Request (Updated 29-Sep-2015)
The final Plan must be submitted to the federal government on March 1, 2016 (Update: on February 16, 2016, the Office of Child Care extended the submission deadline to March 11, 2016). The final and approved 2016–18 CCDF State Plan will be available as of June 2016. A proposed timeline of this process can be found at the CCDBG State Plan Timeline Web page.
Individuals who do not have access to the Internet should be able to obtain access at most local public library branches throughout California.
This announcement includes the following:
- Description of the topical input sessions and public hearing process
- Guidelines for public testimony, whether verbal or written
- Hearing and testimony time frames, and instructions for submitting written testimony
Guidelines For Public Testimony Whether Verbal or Written
The focus of the public hearings is exclusively on the draft State Plan and testimony, whether verbal or written, and must only address its contents. To assist in preparing testimony, the following guidance clarifies what is to be included.
The public hearing is:
- An opportunity for individuals and organizations to provide comments on specific items contained in the proposed Plan. Please reference the section number, heading, and page number in each comment.
- An opportunity to indicate support, opposition, suggested changes, additions, or deletions pertaining to specific items. Please offer constructive solutions in your statement.
The public hearing is not:
- A forum to recommend law or regulation changes. These comments should be addressed through the legislative process.
- A forum to discuss any of the proposals currently under discussion in the legislative process or to advocate for any specific proposed legislative bills. These comments should be saved for legislative hearings.
- A forum to discuss how funds are allocated by the State Legislature for child care and development programs. Those concerns should be addressed in legislative budget hearings.
- A forum to describe general problems or concerns about California’s child care and development services delivery system. Those concerns should be addressed to the California Department of Education.
How to Submit Written Testimony
All testimony was accepted through February 5, 2016.
In addition to testimony at the public hearings, written testimony was be accepted, and submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail.
By Mail: Written comments on the proposed State Plan should be addressed to:
State Plan Public Hearing Coordinator
Early Education and Support Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 3410
Sacramento, CA 95814
By E-Mail: Please use the following e-mail address: email@example.com
By Fax: Please use the following fax number for written comments: 916-323-6853
The purpose of the Federal Child Care and Development Fund is to increase the availability, affordability, and quality of early care and education services. Your comments and suggestions will help ensure that the CCDF State Plan being proposed will fulfill this purpose.If you have any questions about the CCDF State Plan public hearings, please contact the Early Education and Support Division, Policy Office by phone at 916-322-6233.
Past Public Input Opportunities
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
9:00 a.m. to Noon
January 12, 2016 Public Hearing Session Webinar
Topical Input Sessions
Thursday, October 8, 2015
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Information on Topical Input Sessions conducted on Thursday, October 8, 2015
Friday, January 9, 2015
9:00 a.m. to Noon