Head Start Publications
Each newsletter release offers the reader articles on a variety of topics of interest to teachers and administrators of early care and education programs.
- California Collaborative on Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (Fall 2014)(E-Journal) (PDF)
- Child Development Training Consortium (Winter 2011) (PDF; 3MB)
- Partnerships (Summer 2009) (PDF; 2MB)
- Professional Development (Fall 2007) (PDF; 6MB)
- Quality Improvement (Fall 2006) (PDF; 2MB)
- Serving Children with Special Needs (Summer 2005) (PDF; 1MB)
Guidance for Partnerships
- Frequently Asked Questions for Layering CDE, EESD Contracted (State Subsidy) Programs and Head Start Programs
This page was created primarily for Head Start grantees (Head Start, Early Head Start or Early Head Start Child Care Partnership) who may also serve children receiving state subsidy funds from the CDE in order to answer FAQs regarding blending/braiding/layering/stacking state and federal funds.
Full-Year Early Child Care and Education Partnerships (PDF)
This report presents recommendations of the Collaborative Partners Work Group. Members of the group, which consisted of local Head Start, California Department of Education (CDE), and federal Region IX administrators share their suggested programmatic and fiscal practices with programs in furthering collaborative arrangements and partnerships.
- Matrix of Financial Considerations for Partnerships between the CDE, Early Education and Support Division (EESD), and the Office of Head Start (OHS).
This matrix contains fiscal and audit guidance for California programs which are braiding the CDE, EESD, and federal OHS program funds. It was created in 2007 by the California Head Start Association under contract with the California Head Start State Collaboration Office.
These agreements between the federal Administration for Children and Families, Head Start, and the California Department of Education (Part B) and California Department of Developmental Services (Part C) may be used by local Head Start programs as models for the development for local agreements with education agencies and regional centers.
Part B Interagency Agreement - California Department of Education - Administration for Children and Families
Part C Memorandum of Understanding - California Department of Developmental Services - Administration for Children and Families
- Alignment between the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework and the California Preschool Learning Foundations (DOC)
This document was developed by WestEd through a process facilitated by the California Head Start Collaboration Office in partnership with the California Head Start Association and the California Center of the Office of Head Start Training and Technical Assistance Network, and supports Head Start education managers and education supervisors by demonstrating the ways in which these two sources align with each other, and the ways in which they share similar goals for children in all areas of learning and development. The alignment of the Head Start Early Learning Framework with the California Preschool Learning Foundations provides a valuable resource to facilitate the coordinated and aligned functioning of all the components of education in an early childhood program–curriculum goals, teaching strategies, and assessment.
- The Alignment of the California Preschool Learning Foundations with Key Early Education Resources
This online publication shows the connections that the nine domains of the preschool learning foundations have with the content of the California Infant/Toddler Learning and Development Foundations, the California Content Standards, the Common Core State Standards, and the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework.