Review of the mathematics and science academic content standards to identify those standards that correspond to the English language development standards.
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction, in consultation with the State Board of Education, will convene a panel of experts in English language instruction, curriculum, and assessment, including individuals who have a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience instructing English learners in the classroom at the Elementary or secondary level [California Ed Code Section 60811.4 (b)].
The panel of experts is responsible for finding correspondence between the 2012 California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards) and the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and correspondence between the 2012 CA ELD Standards and the California Next Generation Science Standards. If necessary, the panel may provide recommendations on augmenting the 2012 CA ELD Standards.
The panel of experts must include individuals who have a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience instructing English learners in the classroom at the elementary or secondary level. The panel of experts will consist of the following:
- ELD, mathematics, and science teachers;
- School site principals, school district or county office of education administrators overseeing programs and support for English learners;
- Personnel of teacher training schools at institutions of higher education; and
- Curriculum and instructional specialists with English learner experience.
A majority of the panel of experts must be currently employed public school teachers.
The panel of experts meetings will be open to the public and held at the California Department of Education (CDE) in Sacramento on April 2, 2015, and May 28, 2015. Public comment will follow each panel of experts meeting in order for the public to provide input. An agenda for each meeting is forthcoming.
- Public Meeting Notice
- Draft Correspondence Study Report with Appendix A and B (PDF; 1MB)
- Draft Appendix C: Correspondence between CA ELD Standards and CA CCSS for Mathematics (PDF; 1MB)
- Draft Appendix D: Correspondence between CA ELD Standards and CA NGSS (PDF; 1MB)
- Draft Appendix E: Sample Augmentation Documents (PDF)
The online application closed at 3 p.m. on Thursday, February 5, 2015. Panel of expert members were appointed and notified by March 2, 2015.
The following timeline highlights the events of this project:
|October 2014||WestEd conducts correspondence study|
|January 2015||CDE opened the online application for panel of experts|
|February 5, 2015||CDE closed the online application for panel of experts|
|March 2, 2015||Appointments to the panel of experts made|
|April 2, 2015||1st panel of experts meeting and public comment|
|May 28, 2015||2nd panel of experts meeting and public comment|
|July 8–9, 2015||State Superintendent of Public Instruction makes recommendations to the State Board of Education for augmentation of the CA ELD Standards|
|August 2015–January 2016 (if necessary)||
Following the adoption of the California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards), California Education Code Section 60811.3 (e) required that the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) and the State Board of Education (SBE) present to the Governor, and the appropriate policy and fiscal committees of the Legislature, a schedule and implementation plan for integrating the new CA ELD Standards into the public education system.
The California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards) Implementation Plan identifies major phases and activities in the implementation of the CA ELD Standards throughout California’s educational system. The plan describes the philosophy of and strategies for the successful integration of the CA ELD Standards that align to the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) to address English language and literacy skills English learners need in key content areas. The goal of the CA ELD Standards Implementation Plan is to serve as a guide of the major steps in the development, adoption, and implementation of the CA ELD Standards for local educational agencies and county offices of education.
- Letter presenting the CA ELD Standards Implementation Plan to the Governor
- ELD Standards Implementation Plan (PDF; 1MB)
Please send technical assistance questions regarding the CA ELD Standards Implementation Plan to: ELDImplementation@cde.ca.gov.
English Language Development Standards for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
Assembly Bill 124 (Fuentes, Chapter 605, Statutes of 2011), signed into law on October 8, 2011, requires the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI), in consultation with the State Board of Education (SBE), to update, revise, and align the state’s current ELD standards by grade level to the state’s English Language Arts (ELA) standards, by November 2012. ELD standards help guide curriculum, instruction, and assessment for English learners who are developing the English language skills needed to engage successfully with state subject matter standards for college- and career-readiness. This legislation directs the SSPI to complete draft revised ELD standards for SBE review no later than August 31, 2012.
In order to accomplish this important work in the required time frame, the California Department of Education (CDE) has requested the assistance of the California Comprehensive Assistance Center at WestEd. Specifically, WestEd's California Comprehensive Center, in partnership with the Assessment and Standards Development Services Program at WestEd, is working in concert with CDE to analyze current ELD standards relative to the new California ELA standards; review information on other states' and organization's (e.g., World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment) ELD standards revision and alignment efforts; analyze statewide public and expert input on revision parameters; draft the proposed ELD standards; and revise them as needed based on stakeholder review and feedback.
California ELD Standards - SBE adopted on November 7, 2012
- ELD Overview and Proficiency Level Descriptors (PDF)
- Kindergarten - Color (PDF) | Kindergarten - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 1 - Color (PDF) | Grade 1 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 2 - Color (PDF) | Grade 2 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 3 - Color (PDF) | Grade 3 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 4 - Color (PDF) | Grade 4 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 5 - Color (PDF) | Grade 5 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 6 - Color (PDF) | Grade 6 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 7 - Color (PDF) | Grade 7 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 8 - Color (PDF) | Grade 8 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 9 and 10 - Color (PDF) | Grade 9 and 10 - Black and White (PDF)
- Grade 11 and 12 - Color (PDF) | Grade 11 and 12 - Black and White (PDF)
- Appendix A: Foundational Literacy Skills for English Learners (PDF)
- Appendix B: California English Language Development Standards Part II: Learning About How English Works (PDF)
- Appendix C: Theoretical Foundations and Research Base for California’s English Language Development Standards (PDF)
- Appendix D: Context, Development, and Validation of the California English Language Development Standards (PDF)
- Glossary of Key Terms (PDF)
- Glossary of Key Terms (Accessible Alternate Version)