All local educational agencies (LEAs) that generate a formula subgrant of less than $10,000 in any school year must apply for and participate in the Title III LEP student program as a member of a consortium. Features of consortia include, but are not limited to, the following:
- One of the LEA members of a consortium must agree to serve as the lead LEA of the consortium. The lead LEA shall be the sole grantee and shall administer the subgrant on behalf of all consortium members.
- The lead LEA will be responsible for acting as the fiscal and program agent for the consortium and will file the required expenditure reports and maintain fiscal records.
- The consortium will plan to expend all Title III funds during the grant year. If all funds are not expended and there is carryover, the lead LEA will continue to serve as the fiscal agent for the consortium until the funds are expended for up to 12 additional months.
- The consortium shall develop a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), (Sample LEP MOU), that outlines how the consortium will meet all Title III requirements, including: Title III Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs), notification to parents of participating English learners, and participation in an improvement plan if the consortium as a whole fails to meet Title III AMAOs for two consecutive years. The MOU should also describe the activities and timelines for the provision of Title III services to English learners enrolled in the consortium.
- In the event the consortium does not meet any one or more of the three AMAOs in any year, the parents of all LEP students in the consortium shall be notified. The lead LEA is responsible to ensure this notification occurs. This action may be delegated to member LEAs.
- In the event the consortium does not meet the AMAOs for two consecutive years, the consortium shall develop a Title III Improvement Plan Addendum (IPA). The lead LEA shall be responsible for submitting the LEA IPA to the California Department of Education (CDE). All members of the consortium shall be responsible for the implementation of the Title III IPA.
- The lead LEA will be responsible for completing and submitting the Biennial Evaluation and any other evaluation necessary to the CDE.