The California Department of Education (CDE) collects the number of immigrant students to determine the amount of funding.
Eligible Immigrant Students
As of July 1, 2009, sections 3301(1) and (6) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) defines immigrant children and youth as individuals who:
- Are aged 3 through 21
- Were not born in any state: each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico as defined in Section 3301 (14) of the ESEA
- Have not been attending one or more schools in any one or more states for more than three full (cumulative) academic years.
Immigrant Student Demographic Data
The CDE collects and analyzes a variety of data on immigrant students. Types of data available include:
- Enrollments of immigrant students by local educational agency (LEA)
- Enrollments of immigrants by country of origin
- Ranking of LEAs by immigrant enrollments
- Ranking of counties by immigrant enrollments
- Statewide immigrant enrollments and related funding
Note that the immigrant enrollment data include only those immigrant students who have not been attending a U.S. school for more than three full academic years. Immigrant students who have been enrolled longer than three years are not included in the data.