Title III, Year Four Accountability Requirement
A local educational agency (LEA), county office of education (COE), direct-funded charter school, or consortia that fails to meet one or more of the three Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs) for four consecutive years is identified as Title III, Year Three and subject to Title III accountability requirement listed below. Status determined through data available in the 2012 Adequate Yearly Progress and the 2011–12 Title III Accountability Reports.
2012-13 Title III Accountability Requirement
- Notify parents of English learners that the LEA, COE, direct-funded charter school, or consortia did not meet all Title III AMAOs, in writing. Notification should be provided within 30 calendar days of the public release of the Title III Accountability Reports. LEA in a consortium, the Lead is responsible for ensuring that parents of English learners within each consortium member are notified if AMAOs are not met.
- Sample parent notification letter (DOC)
- Sample parent notification letter in other languages are available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Clearinghouse on Multilingual Document Web page.
- Modify curriculum, program, and method of instruction that will ensure that the AMAOs are met. This requirement can be addressed via the Title III Year 4 Improvement Plan (IP).
- Technical Assistance and Support
- The CDE designated technical assistance providers within each of the 11 County Superintendents regions. These Title III COE Leads assist identified LEAs with the development, implementation and monitoring of the Title III Year 2 and Year 4 Improvement Plans to ensure that LEAs meet their AMAOs in the future.
- The CDE and the California Comprehensive Center (CACC) at WestEd work closely with the COE Leads to plan, implement services, and offer technical assistance webinars designed to support LEAs in developing and implementing effective plans.
- The CDE and the CACC at WestEd work closely with the COE Regional Leads to facilitate delivery of regional training forums for LEAs in Year 2 and 4 Improvement Status. Sites and dates will be made available to LEAs via the COE Regional leads.
- IP templates and other required documents are available on the CDE Title III Accountability Requirements 2012 Web page.
- Entering the Title III Year 4 IP and documentation into the
California Accountability & Improvement System (CAIS)[note, as of June 30, 2016 CAIS was decommissioned. The new monitoring system is the CDE Monitoring Tool (CMT).]
- LEA responsibilities after receipt of the IP status notification from the CDE
- Addresses recommended revisions only after the COE Lead in consultation with CDE reviews these items.
- Continues the IP implementation