The following provide helpful information about independent study rules, regulations, and effective practices.
Independent Study Summary
Information on the purpose, services, funding, and students served.
Quick Guide to Independent Study
Essential elements of independent study including the types of programs, key legal requirements, written or master agreements, local board policy, funding, attendance, etc.
Independent Study Operations Manual
A resource for educators and parents/guardians/caregivers that provides critical information about independent study in California schools.
Legal Requirements for Independent Study
A comprehensive list of basic requirements for operating a legally compliant independent study program.
Sample Independent Study Written Agreement (DOC; Revised 24-Sep-2012)
Provides an example of a legally compliant independent study agreement, including legal citations for all required elements.
Federal Teacher Requirements for Independent Study
Information on meeting federal requirements for highly qualified teachers in independent study.
Ratio Calculations Instructions
Complete guidelines on how to calculate teacher-to-average daily attendance ratios for independent study, with examples.
Guide to Evaluating Your Independent Study Practices (DOC; Revised 04-Oct-2012)
A tool for evaluating independent study practices.
- 2012-13 Exemplary Independent Study Recogniton Award Letter
- 2012-13 Exemplary Independent Study Recognition Award Application (DOC)
- Award-Winning Exemplary Independent Study Schools
- Elements of Exemplary Independent Study
Online Education Resources
- California Directory of Online Schools and Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions Related to K-12 Online Education in California
- Glossary of Terms Related to Online Education
Helpful links to offices, documents, and programs.