Provides a list of changes that should be made to the print publication of the Independent Study Operations Manual 2000 Edition. These changes are not made to the Independent Study Operations Manual Selected Excerpts PDF versions. Please be aware of these changes as you use this manual.
Chapter 2, page 2-8, item 4
- Delete the word "consecutive" from the first sentence to read, "...fails to complete three independent study assignments..."
- Change the last sentence of text to reflect amended language: Delete "…maintained in the pupil's or student's permanent record" and replace it with "treated as a mandatory interim pupil record. The record shall be maintained for a period of three years from the date of the evaluation and, if the pupil transfers to another California public school, the record shall be forwarded to that school."
Chapter 4, page 4-8
- Delete the first sentence and replace it with "Follow the instructions for school districts using the high school or unified school district with the greatest average daily attendance (a.d.a.) in that county."
- Add the following new section after For County Offices of Education.
For Charter Schools
Follow the instructions for school districts using as the base ratio, the ratio of the unified school district with the greatest a.d.a. in the county or counties in which the charter school operates. See California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 11704.
- Under Instructions for Computing the 10 Percent Cap on Independent Study in Continuation and Opportunity Education, per California Education Code Section 51745(b), add "Note that a pupil who is pregnant or is a parent who is the primary caregiver for one or more of his or her children shall not be counted within the 10 percent cap" to the end of the paragraph.
- Under Contact the following persons directly with questions about independent study:
Chapter 5, page 5-3, first paragraph in left column
- Change the Educational Options Office division title, street address, and Web page address to: Coordinated Student Support and Adult Education Division, 1430 N Street, Suite 6408; Web page: Independent Study [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/eo/is/].
Chapter 11, page 11-3
- Change the subheading title to "Meeting 'a-g Requirements.'"
Appendix A, page A-4, under 44865:
- Add "(k) Independent Study."
Appendix A, page A-11, under 51745.6
- Add "(e) The pupils-to-certificated-employee ratio described in subdivision (a) may, in a charter school, be calculated by using a fixed pupils-to-certificated-employee ratio of 25 to one, or by being a ratio of less than 25 pupils per certificated employee. All charter school pupils, regardless of age, shall be included in pupil-to-certificated-employee ratio calculations."
Appendix A, page A-12, 51747
- In the first sentence, add "and has implemented those policies" after "…has adopted written policies."
- 51747(b): Change the last sentence of text to reflect amended language: Delete "…maintained in the pupil's or student's permanent record" and replace it with "treated as a mandatory interim pupil record. The record shall be maintained for a period of three years from the date of the evaluation and, if the pupil transfers to another California public school, the record shall be forwarded to that school."
Appendix A, page A-18
- Change "11700. Definition" to "11700. Definitions."
- 11700(2)(B): Change the second "48915" to "48917."
Appendix A, page A-19, under 11701.5 Equitable Provision of Resources and Services
- In the first sentence, change "met" to "meet."