Private School Participation in ESEA Act of 2001
These documents provide guidance, timelines, and material supporting effective mandated private school consulation and provision of equitable services for non-profit private school teachers and students, consistent with the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 2001.
Request for Applications (RFA)
Provides contract funding for one public school district or county office of education to design and implement a statewide professional development system to support needs of educators and administrators in California's nonprofit, private schools, consistent with ESEA Title IX, Part E equitable services mandate and Title II, Part A.
- Statewide Nonprofit Private School Professional Development RFA (Updated and Released April 21, 2014). For the period October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2015.
Notice of Intent to Award Contract
|LEA Name||Private School Liaison||Contact Person E-mail||Funding Period||Funding Amount|
|Newark Unified School District||Paula Lovo, Ph.D.||firstname.lastname@example.org||October 1, 2014 - September 30, 2015||$353,604|
- Federal Legislation
ESEA, Title IX, Part E Uniform Provisions, Subpart 1 Private Schools Sec. 9501 Participation by Private School Children and Teachers.
- Federal Formula to Determine Amount for ESEA Title II, Part A, Equitable Services for Private Schools (XLS)
Formula examples provided by US Department of Education to illustrate the formula used to calculate the allocation of ESEA Title II, Part A funds each district should dedicate to professional development services for educators in nonprofit, private schools in their local attendance area.
- Federal Non-Regulatory Guidance: ESEA Title IX, Part E Uniform Provisions
Guidance issued by the US Department of Education concerning the federal mandate for local education agencies (LEAs) to annually consult with nonprofit private schools and provide equitable federally-funded services for private school students, teachers, and other educational personnel, and, in some cases, families.
- Federal Non-Regulatory Guidance: ESEA Title II, Part A Improving Teacher Quality
Guidance issued by the US Department of Education concerning the federal mandate for LEAs to provide nonprofit private school teachers, principals and other educational personnel with professional development services to the extent that the LEA uses Title II, Part A funds for professional development for its teachers and other school personnel.
- Equitable Services Implementation Plan
US Department of Education Web site providing resources to assist States and districts in implementing the equitable services requirements for students and teachers, consistent with the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Equitable Participation Provisions for Private Schools in No Child Left Behind
Federal Guidance, 2002.
- Suggested Private School Consultation/Equitable Services Timeline
Suggested California timeline for districts and private schools engaged in consultation.
- Letter to the Field Regarding Private Nonprofit School Participation in Elementary and Secondary Education Act Programs
May 19, 2014: Letter to County and District Superintendents, Charter School Administrators, Categorical Program Directors, and District Business Officers.
- California Guidance Document
Guidance for Private School Students, Teachers, and Other Education Personnel in Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (as of 3/8/2010).
- Private School Consultation and Title II A (PDF)
Presentation made at the December 14, 2012 Categorical Program Directors Meeting to provide update on timely private school consultation issues.
- Equitable Services for Private School Students and Teachers (PDF)
Presentation made at the 2011 California Association of Administrators of State and Federal Education Programs Meeting to provide information on federally-funded equitable services and private school consultation requirements and practices.
- Consultation Practices That Work for Public and Private Schools (PDF)
Accessible Alternative Version of the Consultation Practices That Work for Public and Private Schools
CDE Resource, January 2008.
- 2011-12 ConApp I Guidance Document: ESEA Participation and Reporting of Students in Private Nonprofit Schools
Guidance page for Local Educational Agencies that links to the ConApp and Reporting System (CARS) and pertains to Students in Private Nonprofit Schools.
- Password for Filing the Annual Private School Affidavit
September 23, 2014: Letter to Private School Administrators regarding filing the Annual Private School Affidavit, instructions, and password information.
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2012-13 Annual Report
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2011-12 Annual Report
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2010–11 Annual Report
- Report to the Legislature: Title II, Part A, Statewide Professional Development for Nonprofit, Private Schools 2009–10 Annual Report (PDF)