Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

LEA Grants Frequently Asked Questions

Clarification and definitions pertaining to the expenditure of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Part B Funds allocated to provide services to individuals with disabilities.
  1. Must the grantee [local educational agency (LEA)] sign and return the certification to the California Department of Education (CDE) to receive initial payment?

    Yes. As stated in the Grant Award Notification (AO-400), the grantee, or authorized agent, must sign and return the certification to the CDE within 10 days upon receipt of the Form AO-400 prior to receiving the initial payment.

  1. When does the CDE send the AO-400?

    The CDE cannot send the AO-400 before the state budget has been approved and is signed by the Governor. Once the state budget has been approved, an AO-400 will be issued to grantees.
  1. Do all approved funds have to be expended within the designated grant award period?

    Yes. As indicated in the Grant Conditions, all approved project funds must be expended within the designated award period and for no more than the total amount indicated. Encumbrances may be made at any time after the award starting date. However, all funds must be expended or legally obligated by the award ending date. Grants shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR). Furthermore, expenditures shall comply with all applicable provisions of federal, state and local rules, regulations, and policies related to the administration of, use of, and accounting for public school funds including, but not limited to, the California Education Code.
  1. Is carryover of funds allowed?

    There is no carryover allowed for federal or state funds. All grant funds must be expended during the grant award period as indicated on the AO-400. Please refer to the AO-400 for grant periods.
  1. After receipt of initial payment, when do we receive the next payment?

    For federal funds, the Business/Fiscal Officer for the grantee must submit to CDE, an Interim Expenditure Report, no later than the dates indicated on the expenditure report in order to receive the next payment. Payments are on a reimbursement basis and will be issued up to reported expenditure amounts.

    For state funds the Interim Expenditure Report is used to determine the appropriate amount of the next payment. If an agency reports actual expenditures as less than the initial payment, then the next scheduled interim payment will be reduced proportionately.

    Additionally, the federal Cash Management Improvement Act of 1990 was enacted by Public Law 101-453 and codified at 31 U.S.C. 3335, 6501, and 6503. The implementing regulations are provided in Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 205. In accordance with Title 31 CFR Part 205.10, CDE must institute procedures to project or reconcile estimates with actual and immediate cash needs. Consequently, all CDE grant allocations must be limited to the minimum amounts needed and must be timed to the actual, immediate cash requirements of the grantee. The Interim Expenditure Report provides CDE with actual cost and service data to determine the actual cost need of each grantee’s scheduled interim payment.
  1. When is the Interim Expenditure report due?

    Please refer to the agency's AO-400 Grant Conditions for reporting periods and due dates.
  1. When is the final expenditure report due?

    Please refer to the agency's AO-400 Grant Conditions for reporting periods and due dates.
  1. Expenditure report forms are lost, where can new ones be located?

    Blank forms are available on the LEA Grants Web page under Other Resources. It is the agencies responsibility to complete the information as provided on the original AO-400.
Questions:   Special Education Division, Administrative Services Unit | 916- 323-1323
Download Free Readers