Assembly Bill 602, Chapter 654, Statutes of 1997, added new requirements to local plans. AB 602 requires special education local plan areas (SELPAs) to submit Annual Budget and Service Plans that are adopted at public hearings. As required in California Education Code (EC) Section 56205, these plans must identify expected expenditures and include a description of services, the physical location of the services, and must demonstrate that all individuals with exceptional needs have access to services and instruction appropriate to meet their needs as specified in their individualized education program (IEP).
Annual Budget Plan Requirement (Education Code Section 56205(b)(1))
Each SELPA local plan requires a budget plan component to be developed/updated annually. A SELPA must post a notice of the Budget Plan hearing in each school at least 15 days prior to the public hearing. The Annual Budget Plan for the 2013–14 school year is due to the California Department of Education (CDE) on or before June 30, 2013.
- Develop or Revise the Annual Budget Plan
Each SELPA will adopt the Annual Budget Plan according to the governance and policymaking process established in their local plan. The completion of the process will be documented by evidence that a SELPA-level public hearing has been held to adopt the Annual Budget Plan.
The Annual Budget Plan may be revised during any fiscal year according to the policymaking process established, pursuant to EC Section 56205 subparagraph (D) and (E) of paragraph (12) of subdivision (a) and consistent with subdivision (f) of EC sections 56001 and 56195.9.
The Annual Budget Plan shall identify expected expenditures for all items required by this part, which shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Funds received in accordance with Chapter 7.2 (commencing with EC Section 56836)
- Administrative costs of the plan
- Special education services to pupils with severe disabilities and low-incidence disabilities
- Special education services to pupils with nonsevere disabilities
- Supplemental aids and services to meet the individual needs of pupils placed in regular education classrooms and environments
- Regionalized operations and services and direct instructional support by program specialists in accordance with Article 6 (commencing with EC Section 56836.23) of Chapter 7.2
- The use of property taxes allocated to the SELPA pursuant to EC Section 2572
- Hold a SELPA-level Public Hearing to Adopt the Annual Budget Plan
Notice of the SELPA-level public hearing shall be posted in each school at least 15 days prior to the public hearing. A copy of the Public Hearing Notice must be submitted with the budget plan.
Annual Service Plan Requirement (Education Code Section 56205(b)(2))
Each SELPA local plan requires a service plan component to be developed/updated annually. The Annual Service Plan for the 2013–14 school year is due to the CDE on or before June 30, 2013.
- Develop or Revise the Annual Service Plan
Each SELPA will develop and adopt the Annual Service Plan according to the governance and policymaking process established in their local plan. The completion of the process will be documented by evidence that a SELPA-level public hearing has been held to adopt the Annual Service Plan.
- Description of Services as of December 1, 2012
- Nature of Services: Describe the full continuum of service options to be provided within the SELPA assuring access to appropriate instruction and services for all students with disabilities from birth to twenty-two years of age, including children with low-incidence disabilities.
To describe the full continuum of service options:
- Using Form ASP-01a, California Special Education Management Information System (CASEMIS) Service Descriptions, check or mark the appropriate box if the SELPA adopted, modified, or is not currently utilizing the Special Education Service Category Descriptions as written in the CASEMIS.
- If the CASEMIS descriptions are modified or customized specific to the SELPA’s program, or the SELPA offers programs/services not described in CASEMIS, a written description of the program/service must be submitted with the Annual Service Plan (form ASP-01b).
- If the SELPA offers programs/services not described in CASEMIS for early childhood special education from birth through five years of age, a written description of the program/service, including the nature and location of services, must be submitted with the Annual Service Plan (form ASP-01b).
- Physical Location of Services: The Physical Location of Services Plan may be printed from the CASEMIS system as a report, and adjusted for any foreseeable changes. (See instructions for printing the CASEMIS report on page 4 of these instructions.)
- Hold a SELPA-level Public Hearing to Adopt the Annual Service Plan
Notice of the SELPA-level public hearing shall be posted in each school district at least 15 days prior to the public hearing. A copy of the Public Hearing Notice must be submitted with the service plan.
Submission of the Annual Budget and Service Plan
Please refer to the checklist of forms to be submitted.
Submit the signed Certification of Annual Budget Plan (ABP-01) and Certification of Annual Service Plan (ASP-03), along with the complete Annual Budget and Service Plans, and copies of the public hearing notice(s) (EC Section 56601) to the CDE, Special Education Division, on or before June 30, 2013, to:
Alexa Slater, Staff Services Analyst
California Department of Education
Special Education Division
1430 N Street, Suite 2401
Sacramento, California 95814
Phone: 916-322-0581 Fax: 916-327-3730
A complete copy of the SELPA Local Plan, including policies and procedures and the Annual Budget and Service Plans, must be held on file in the SELPA office and at each participating local educational agency (LEA), and be accessible to any interested party.
Printing the Physical Location of Services Report
The CASEMIS software allows the capability to print the Physical Location of Services Report. This is based on the pupil count data entered into the system in preparation for the December 1, 2012, pupil count submission to CDE.
It is recommended to print the Physical Location of Services Report prior to submitting the December 1 data to CDE. By doing this, the SELPA is able to review the data that has been entered into the system and determine if any corrections should be made prior to submitting the data to CDE.
If the SELPA determines corrections need to be made, the SELPA can make those changes before they submit their data. Once the data has been submitted to CDE, there is not an opportunity to make additional data changes.
The Physical Location of Services Report should not be submitted to CDE until the SELPA receives a notice of data certification from CDE.
Following are the instructions for printing the Physical Location of Services Report:
- Open the CASEMIS Software.
- Click “Reports” (located on the bar across the top of the screen).
- The “Reports” screen will open. Select “Enrollment Full Report”.
- The “Enrollment Full Report” screen will open.
- Under the section “Default Listing Reports” (lower right corner)
- Select “Annual Service Plan”
- The “Multi Selection Report” screen will open.
- Under “Data File and Date”
- Select “Browse” and locate your Student Data (Table A)
- Select “Browse” and locate your Service (Table B)
- Select “Preview” (located on the bar across the bottom of the screen).
- The Physical Location of Services Report will open and the following forms should be completed and sorted by LEA:
- Form ASP-02a, Annual Service Report (001)
- Form ASP-02a, Other Facilities (002)
- Form ASP-02a, Infant Services (003)
- Form ASP-02a, Pre-School Services (004)
- Select “Print” to print the Physical Location of Services Report.
- Make any corrections or additions directly on these forms
- The most common error may be ***Sch Code Not found***
- Correct this error by entering the correct data, it can be hand written
- Submit these forms to CDE