The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) is a part of the statewide system of school support that was established to meet state and federal requirements. The support system, working within county offices of education (COEs), offers intensive and sustained assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools receiving Title I funds to increase the opportunity for all students to meet the state’s academic content standards. California uses a regional approach to address the needs of students because of the vast number of schools and districts in the state. This support system delivers and brokers resources to districts and schools in need of improvement.
Purpose of Work
Region 3 provides leadership, resources, and assistance to districts and schools to increase district capacity to support Title I schools and ensure that all students are provided with the best education to meet and/or exceed state and local content and performance standards. Region 3 plays an integral role to deliver support to LEAs assisting schools subject to corrective action; LEAs with schools identified as in need of improvement; and other LEAs and schools that need support to reach higher levels of academic achievement in accordance with the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001.
Region 3 covers a ten-county geographic area that extends from the greater Sacramento area in the west to the rural counties of Yolo, Yuba, Sutter, and Colusa in the north, and extends from the Sierra foothills to Lake Tahoe, including the counties of Nevada, Alpine, Sierra, El Dorado, and Placer.
Context of Work
County partners in Region 3 serve districts and schools in the following ways to meet the needs of schools and districts serving Title I students:
- Provide monthly informational meetings and networking opportunities for administrators responsible for implementation of NCLB.
- Train district and school leaders in the use of state-developed tools and protocols to determine necessary revisions to the LEA plan.
- Assist LEA staff in the development of District/School Liaison Teams to work with LEAs and school staff members as they utilize the state-developed tools.
- Train and facilitate LEA staff in a decision-making process regarding mandated responsibilities to schools in Program Improvement (PI) years 3, 4, and 5.
- Provide consultation and support to districts in order to build the LEAs’ capacity to assist PI schools in implementing corrective action or restructuring/alternative governance plans developed in accordance with NCLB.
- Support PI districts in the implementation of LEA plans through progress-monitoring meetings and ongoing support for implementation.
- Offer regional training opportunities for school and district teams including:
- Using data to improve student achievement
- Parent involvement requirements under NCLB
- Universal access and support classes
- Ensure effective utilization of funds throughout Region 3 to align with the RSDSS goals.
Region 3 offers technical assistance and support to districts receiving Title 1 funds through a variety of venues. The Region 3 office is located at the Sacramento COE, 10474 Mather Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95826. Contact Mark Calonico, Director, at 916-228-2615 or by e-mail at email@example.com. To obtain a complete listing of current and future technical assistance activities, visit the Region 3 RSDSS Web site .