The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) is a part of the statewide system of school support that was established to meet state and federal requirements. The support system, working within county offices of education (COEs), offers intensive and sustained assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools receiving Title I funds to increase the opportunity for all students to meet the state’s academic content standards. California uses a regional approach to address the needs of students because of the vast number of schools and districts in the state. This support system delivers and brokers resources to districts and schools in need of improvement.
Purpose of Work
The purpose of Region 8 is to provide leadership, resources, and technical assistance to schools and districts receiving Title I funds to increase their capacity to provide opportunities for all students to meet and/or exceed state and local content and performance standards.
Region 8 consists of four counties located in the central coast and southern end of the San Joaquin Valley of California. San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura are coastal counties with a mixture of rural and suburban settings. Kern County reflects a primarily rural environment with one urban area surrounded by rapidly growing suburbs.
Context of WorkRegion 8 provides the following services:
- Orient district and school staff members to the Program Improvement (PI) requirements and a process for the use of state-developed tools and protocols to determine necessary revisions to the LEA plan.
- Train LEA and school staff members in the use of state-developed tools such as the District Assistance Survey, the Academic Program Survey, and the English Learner Student Subgroup Self Assessment.
- Assist LEA staff in the development of District/School Liaison Teams to work with LEA and school-level staff members as they utilize the state-developed tool.
- Train and facilitate LEA staff in a decision-making process regarding mandated responsibilities to schools in PI years 3, 4, and 5.
- Provide regional trainings to build the LEA capacity to assist PI schools to implement corrective action or restructuring/alternative governance plans developed in accordance with the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001.
- Establish and maintain regional networks of programs designed to assist LEAs and schools in their efforts to increase student achievement and implement research-based promising practices.
- Provide consultant services regarding special populations, such as special education, English language learners, and students who are economically disadvantaged.
- Ensure effective utilization of funds throughout Region 8 to align with RSDSS goals.
- Develop networks of trained knowledgeable individuals to work with PI schools and districts throughout Region 8.
Region 8 offers technical assistance and support to districts receiving Title I funds through a variety of venues. The Region 8 office is located at the Ventura COE, 5100 Adolfo Road, Camarillo, CA 93012. Contact Carlos Dominguez, Director, by phone at 805-437-1334 or by e-mail at email@example.com. To obtain more information regarding current and future technical assistance activities, visit the Region 8 RSDSS Web site .