The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) is a part of the statewide system of school support that was established to meet state and federal requirements. The support system, working within county offices of education (COEs), offers intensive and sustained assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools receiving Title I funds to increase the opportunity for all students to meet the state’s academic content standards. Region 11 provides, in partnership with the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) educational services to districts and schools in Los Angeles County to increase student achievement; and customer service to internal and external clients. By supporting the LACOE strategic opportunities, Region 11 provides leadership, resources, and assistance to Program Improvement (PI) districts and schools to increase their capacity to provide opportunities for all students to meet and/or exceed state and local content and performance standards.
Purpose of Work
Region 11 plays an integral role to deliver support to LEAs assisting schools subject to corrective action; LEAs with schools identified as in need of improvement; and other LEAs and schools that need support to reach higher levels of academic achievement in accordance with No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
Region 11 consists of a single county in California's RSDSS system. Los Angeles County is home to 80 LEAs and approximately 1.7 million students in kindergarten through grade twelve.
Context of Work
Region 11 provides the following services:
- Train for PI LEAs and LEAs with large numbers of PI schools in the use of state-developed tools and protocols to complete the LEA Plan Addenda.
- Assist to LEA staff in the development of District/School Liaison Teams to work with LEA and school-level staff members as they implement the LEA Plan Addenda and share successful practices the region.
- Provide information, leadership, and networking opportunities for district categorical directors and instructional leaders in the effective, efficient implementation of new legislation and categorical programs supporting Title I students.
- Training for LEA and school staff members in a planning for mandated responsibilities to schools in PI years 3, 4, and 5.
- Provide information, leadership, coaching, and networking opportunities explicitly focused on increasing teacher/administrator effectiveness in working with English learners, students with disabilities, and other underserved subgroups.
Region 11 offers technical assistance and support to districts receiving Title I funds through a variety of venues. The Region 11 office is located at the Los Angeles COE, 9300 Imperial Highway, Downey, CA 90242. To obtain a complete listing of current and future technical assistance activities, visit the Region 11 RSDSS Web site .