The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) is a part of the statewide system of school support that was established to meet state and federal requirements. The support system, working within county offices of education (COE), offers intensive and sustained assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools receiving Title I funds to increase the opportunity for all students to meet the state’s academic content standards. California uses a regional approach to address the needs of students because of the vast number of schools and districts in the state. Region 9 provides leadership, resources, and assistance to Program Improvement (PI) districts and schools in order to increase their capacity to provide opportunities for all students to meet and/or exceed state and local content and performance standards.
Purpose of Work
The goal of Region 9 is to consistently communicate, collaborate, and cooperate with others to enhance student achievement. Region 9 plays an integral role in delivering support and assistance to LEAs with schools subject to corrective action; LEAs with schools identified as in need of improvement; and LEAs with other schools that need support to reach higher levels of academic achievement in accordance with the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001.
Region 9 serves districts in Imperial, Orange, and San Diego counties located in Southern California.
Context of Work
Region 9 provides a four-tiered menu of services in the following priority order:
- Tier I Districts in PI with large number of schools in PI years 3–5
- Tier II Districts in PI with few or no schools in PI
- Tier III Districts not in PI with large numbers of schools in PI years 3–5
- Tier IV Districts with schools in PI years 1–2
Region 9 offers training for all newly identified PI districts. At these training sessions, districts are provided with:
- An overview of district PI, as defined by NCLB
- The reasons why the district was identified
- An overview of the Academic Program Survey
- An overview of the District Program Survey
- An overview of the revision of the LEA plan
In addition, Region 9 provides the following services:
- Revising of the LEA plan using the template provided by the California Department of Education.
- Development of a plan of action that targets not only the subgroups that caused the district to be identified as PI but also those subgroups that are at risk of not meeting the proficiency targets.
- Brokering additional training and support from the COE such as curriculum and instruction, assessment, and principal coaching.
- Brokering additional support to the district through the regional programs such as, but not limited to, Advancement Via Individual Determination, California Technology Assistance Project, and Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment.
Region 9 offers technical assistance and support to districts receiving Title I funds through a variety of venues. The Region 9 office is located at the San Diego COE, 6401 Linda Vista Road, Suite 321 North, San Diego, CA 92111. Contact Juli Coleman, Director, by phone at 858-292-3870 or by e-mail at email@example.com. To obtain a complete listing of current and future technical activities, visit the Region 9 RSDSS Web site .