The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) is a part of the statewide system of school support that was established to meet state and federal requirements. The support system, working within county offices of education (COEs), offers intensive and sustained assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools receiving Title I funds to increase the opportunity for all students to meet the state’s academic content standards. California uses a regional approach to address the needs of students because of the vast number of schools and districts in the state. This support system delivers and brokers resources to districts and schools in need of improvement.
Purpose of Work
The mission of Region 6 is to provide leadership, professional development opportunities, and technical assistance to schools and districts in order to increase their capacity to provide opportunities for all students to meet and/or exceed state and local content and performance standards. Region 6 plays an integral role to deliver support to LEAs assisting schools subject to corrective action; LEAs with schools identified as in need of improvement; and other LEAs and schools that need support to reach higher levels of academic achievement in accordance with the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001.
Region 6 consists of five counties located in Central California. San Joaquin and Stanislaus are large counties that constitute a majority percentage of the student population in Region 6. Three smaller foothill counties within Region 6 include Amador, Calaveras, and Tuolumne.
Context of Work
- Provide regular ongoing professional development and informational meetings for Program Improvement (PI) LEAs and PI schools.
- Provide a comprehensive professional development series focused on research-based instructional strategies proven to be effective with student subgroups in need of improvement. The series includes professional development focused on effective instructional leadership practices designed for district/site administrators.
- Provide ongoing professional development and on-site technical assistance to regional instructional coaches in PI schools.
- Develop District/School Leadership Teams to work with LEA and school staff members as they utilize the state-adopted tools and implement single-school plans.
- Train and facilitate LEA staff in a decision-making process regarding mandated responsibilities to schools in PI years 3, 4, and 5.
- Provide regional trainings to build the capacity of county offices, PI LEAs, and PI schools to use state-developed tools and protocols and implement corrective action or restructuring/alternative governance plans developed in accordance with NCLB.
- Maintain regional networks of programs designed to assist LEAs and schools in their efforts to increase student achievement.
- Ensure effective utilization of funds throughout Region 6 to align with the RSDSS goals