The Regional System of District and School Support (RSDSS) is a part of the statewide system of school support that was established to meet state and federal requirements. The support system, working within county offices of education (COEs), offers intensive and sustained assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools receiving Title I funds to increase the opportunity for all students to meet the state’s academic content standards. California uses a regional approach to address the needs of students because of the vast number of schools and districts in the state. This support system delivers and brokers resources to districts and schools in need of improvement.
Purpose of Work
Region 2 plays an integral role to deliver support to LEAs assisting schools subject to corrective action; LEAs with schools identified as in need of improvement; and to other LEAs and schools that need support to achieve higher levels of academic achievement in accordance with the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001.
Region 2 consists of the nine northeastern counties which include: Modoc, Siskiyou, Lassen, Shasta, Trinity, Tehama, Plumas, Glenn, and Butte. Region 2 is mostly rural; the two largest population centers are in Butte (Chico) and Shasta (Redding) counties. Traditionally, these nine counties work closely together in their support of districts and schools through a collaborative governance structure known as the North Eastern Regional Curriculum Committee (NERCC). All regional programs regularly report to NERCC on their service to priority schools and districts and the progress they make in achieving NERCC goals. Region 2 is a keystone to the NERCC Work Plan for Region 2 and to NERCC collaborative efforts with other regional programs for service to districts and schools.
Context of Work
Region 2 provides the following services:
- Train Program Improvement (PI) LEAs and LEAs with large numbers of PI schools in the use of state-developed tools and protocols to determine necessary revisions to the LEA plan.
- Assist LEA staff in the development of District/School Liaison Teams to work with LEA and school-level staff as they utilize the state-developed tools.
- Train and facilitate LEA staff in a decision-making process regarding mandated responsibilities to schools in PI years 3, 4, and 5.
- Provide regional trainings to build the LEAs’ capacity to assist PI schools in implementing corrective action or restructuring/alternative governance plans developed in accordance with NCLB.
- Establish and maintain regional networks of programs designed to assist LEAs and schools in raising student achievement.
- Ensure effective utilization of funds throughout Region 2 to align with the RSDSS goals.
Region 2 offers technical assistance and support to districts receiving Title I funds through a variety of venues. The Region 2 office is located at the Tehama COE, 1135 Lincoln Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080. Contact Maria Elena Diaz, Director, by phone at 530-528-7350 or by e-mail at email@example.com. To obtain a complete listing of current and future technical assistance activities, visit the Region 2 RSDSS Web site .