Registration is now open for the California Title I Conference
The 2014 California Title I Conference, “Transforming Times,” is scheduled for March 25–26, 2014, in Burlingame, California. The purpose of the conference is to provide a forum for sharing strategies that enhance equitable teaching and learning experiences for students, as well as to provide updates and ideas for effective planning and implementation of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
To register for the conference, please follow the link to the CDE online registration site [https://www.regonline.com/title1conference] . Once you have completed the conference registration, you will be prompted to make your hotel reservations. If you have any questions regarding the conference registration, please contact the Conference Planning Office via email at ConferencePlanning@cde.ca.gov.
The registration fee is $325.00 per person through March 5, 2014. After March 5, 2014, the registration fee increases to $425.00. Save money and register soon! The last day to register for the conference is Friday, March 14, 2014!
Featured speakers for the conference include:
- Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, California Department of Education
- Antwi Akom, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Africana Studies and Education at San Francisco State University, Founding Director of the Institute for Sustainable Economic Educational and Environmental Design (I-SEEED), award-winning educator, scholar, and writer;
- Jeffrey Duncan-Andrade, Ph.D., Associate Professor at Raza Studies and Education at San Francisco State University, Director of the Institute for Sustainable Economic Educational and Environmental Design (I-SEEED), award-winning educator, scholar, and author specializing in the conditions of urban education, urban teacher support and development, and effective pedagogy in urban settings.
- Cindi Hemm, award-winning educator, author, and retired elementary school principal for Tulsa Public Schools;
- Alex Kajitani, California Teacher of the Year 2009, “The Rappin’ Mathematician,” and author of the acclaimed book, Owning It: Proven Strategies for Success in ALL of Your Roles as a Teacher Today.
In addition, presenters with expertise in school and district improvement will offer sessions on topics related to the following four strands:
- Putting Common Core to Work in Title I
- Transforming California Education
- Achieving More through Family-School-Community Partnerships
- Embracing Title I.
This conference is designed for administrators, teachers and other education leaders who serve children from low-income families, and for parents/guardians and community leaders who partner with schools, to help ensure that all children meet California’s rigorous academic requirements. Information regarding the conference can be accessed on the California Title I Conference Web page [http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/sw/t1/title1conf.asp].
A Pre-conference Institute, “Allies for Achievement: Five Key Ways School Leaders Can Transform Family Engagement,” will also be offered from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 24, 2014, in Burlingame, California. For more information regarding the pre-conference institute, please visit the Center for Family, School, Community Engagement, California Parent Center, College of Education, San Diego State University, Conferences and Training Web page [http://go.sdsu.edu/education/parent/conferences.aspx] .
- The training is designed for principals and administrators who want to learn essential components of family engagement linked to improving student outcomes and best practices for sustaining excellent programs of family and community engagement.
- Learn ways to lead a collaborative team approach that connects family engagement to specific academic goals and Common Core State Standards, along with practical ideas for working with parent leaders and involving more families in school activities and programs (including Local Control Funding Formula planning).
Inform your colleagues about the conference. Please post this announcement at your site and/or distribute electronically. We appreciate your support!
We look forward to your attendance and a very successful conference!