Dear Accountability Coordinators:
CHANGES TO THE 2011 BASE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE INDEX
The purpose of this letter is to inform you of changes to the methodology for calculating the 2011 Base Academic Performance Index (API). The 2011 Base API is tentatively scheduled for public release on June 7, 2012, and will incorporate the following changes:
- Include results from the California Modified Assessment (CMA) for English–language arts (ELA) in grades ten and eleven, and Geometry, grades eight through eleven.
- Include new regulations which revised the definition of "continuously enrolled" and require student accountability results from an alternative education program (AEP) to be assigned to the school and school district of residence under specific circumstances.
Inclusion of the CMA for ELA and Geometry
CMA results for ELA in grades ten and eleven and Geometry in grades eight through eleven will be included in the 2011 Base API. The State Board of Education (SBE) adopted performance levels for these assessments at its November 2011 meeting. The inclusion of these CMA results concludes the implementation and phase-in of the CMA into the API.
Inclusion of the California Code of Regulations, Title 5
The California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 1039.2 and 1039.3 requires the assignment of assessment and other accountability results back to a school or school district of residence in the calculation of the API. The SBE adopted the regulations at its January 2012 meeting which authorized the incorporation of the following into the 2011 Base API:
- "Continuously enrolled" is defined as student enrollment from Fall Census Day (first Wednesday in October) to the first day of testing without a gap in enrollment of more than 30 consecutive calendar days. This information will be taken from the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS), not from the student testing answer documents.
- Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program and California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) results are assigned to the non-AEP school and/or the non-AEP school district of residence if both of the following two criteria are met:
- Student was referred after Fall Census Day to an AEP school (i.e., exited using student exit reason code T167 in the CALPADS) and
- Student took the STAR and/or CAHSEE at the AEP school.
Tentative Timeline for 2011 Base API Activities
The tentative dates for the release of the 2011 Base API are:
- May 31, 2012 – 2011 Base API LEA pre-release
- June 7, 2012 – 2011 Base API public release
If you have any questions regarding this subject, please contact the Academic Accountability Unit at 916-319-0863 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Rachel L. Perry, Director
Analysis, Measurement, and Accountability Reporting Division