Supplemental educational services (SES) are additional academic instruction provided outside of the regular school day and designed to increase the academic achievement of students attending schools in Program Improvement (PI) Years 2 through 5. SES, or free tutoring, must be high quality, research based, and specifically designed to increase student academic achievement. Eligible students are all low-income students who attend Title I PI Years 2 through 5 schools.
Approved SES Providers
- Service Providers (Database)
Agencies, contacts, and description of services approved by the California State Board of Education (SBE). The California Department of Education (CDE) has provided an improved way to export SES Provider information from the SES Provider Database. Two links will navigate you to the bottom of the page where you are able to download information for the years selected. Selecting the "Download Provider Detail Profiles in Excel file" will provide an Excel printout of all the profiles for all the approved providers in the years you have selected. Selecting the "Download Provider Contact Information in Excel file" will provide the contact information for all the approved providers in the years you have selected.
- List of Approved Providers by the SBE for the periods of 2014-16 and 2015-17
- List of Providers Terminated in 2014 and 2015 by the SBE
SES Complaint Process
To file a complaint involving an SES Provider or a district's implementation of an SES program, please complete the SES Complaint Form (DOC; Posted March-2015).
Change of Contact Information
Change of Contact Information Request for Providers (DOC; Posted March-2015)
This form allows approved SES providers to request changes to be made to their contact information.
2015 SES Request for Application (RFA) Information, Resources, and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 2015 SES Provider Request for Applications (Posted Sept-2014)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (Revised May-2011)
SES Accountability Report
SES Accountability Report
Pursuant to California Code of Regulations, Title 5 (5CCR), Section 13075.4, after providing services during a fiscal year, approved providers must submit an annual Accountability Report to the CDE.
SES Per Pupil Amounts (PPA)
2015 SES PPA (XLS; Posted Aug-2015)
Update of SES PPA and calculation of 20 percent obligation for SES and Choice and Choice-related transportation costs.
(34 CFR, Sections 200.44-48, October 2008)
SES Federal, State, and Outside Resources
Federal Regulations, California Code of Regulations and Guidance
- Federal SES Non-Regulatory Guidance
- Federal SES Web page
- Federal SES Regulations
- California Code of Regulations (Office of Administrative Law [OAL])
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act (Legislation, Regulation and Guidance)
- County Office of Education Bifurcation of Services letter (DOC; Updated Jun-2012) and bifurcation form (DOC; Updated Jun-2012). These documents provide the guidance for COEs to bifurcate services, allowing them to serve as SES providers to students enrolled in local educational agencies that have schools in Program Improvement Year 2 and beyond.
Outside SES Resources
Comprehensive Center on Innovation and Improvement
Provides technical assistance to states, in partnership with their centers in the areas of SES, restructuring, and statewide systems of support.