CAASPP Communications ToolkitThe toolkit provides links to key communications about the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress System (CAASPP) and the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments.
The CAASPP System
- California's New Online Reporting System – An introductory document on the online reporting system, which provides teachers and schools with preliminary assessment results to guide instruction.
- 2016–17 CAASPP System – Flyer using an umbrella graphic to show all assessments that are included in the CAASPP System.
- CAASPP Student Score Reports Information – Resources and guides for parents or guardians to help understand the CAASPP student score report.
Common Core Communications Toolkit
- Common Core Communications Toolkit – This toolkit provides various resources from the Silicon Valley Community Foundation including a PowerPoint presentation that administrators can present to parents and template letters about the Smarter Balanced assessments in both English and Spanish.
The Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments
The Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments are part of the CAASPP System that are given each spring to students in grades three through eight and grade eleven. They are based on California’s challenging content standards for English language arts (ELA) and mathematics.
- CAASPP Key Messages –
Address questions and concerns about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments that schools and districts may receive from parents, students, and community members.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments
- Creating a Computer Adaptive Test (English) (PDF)
- Creating a Computer Adaptive Test (Spanish)
This document describes the two criteria for creating an online, adaptive test and how the adaptive software works for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments.
Parent Communication Resources about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments
Several resources have been developed to help schools and districts better communicate with parents about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments. These resources were developed based on parent focus groups and can be customized by districts and schools.
- Letter to Parents (DOC) – A letter that explains to parents that their child will be participating in the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessment. The letter is customizable and addresses some key questions that many parents will have about the assessments.
- Parent Checklist (DOC) – A customizable checklist of five ways in which parents can help their child prepare for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments.
- Parent Guides to the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments
Brief student videos gives key information about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and how to get additional information about testing in the State of California.
- What are Smarter Balanced Assessments? (English) (Video; 3:32)
- What are Smarter Balanced Assessments? (Spanish) (Video; 4:00)
- Smarter Balanced: A Complete Assessment System (English) (Video; 1:39)
- Smarter Balanced: A Complete Assessment System (Spanish) (Video; 1:40)
- 2015–16: Understanding Your Child’s Score Report (English)
Explains the new CAASPP Student Score Report
- High School Students (English) (Video; 3:37)
- High School Students (Spanish) (Video; 3:50)
- An Academic Checkup (Video; 2:44) A video about the Smarter Balanced assessments produced by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
- Ready. Set. Succeed: Preparing Our Kids for College & Career (English) (Video; 0:30)
- Ready. Set. Succeed: Preparing Our Kids for College & Career (Spanish) (Video; 0:40)
- 2014–15: Understanding Your Child’s Score Report (English) (Video; 3:38)
Explains the CAASPP Student Score Report for 2015.
- 2014–15: Entendiendo el Reporte de Calificaciones Individual de CAASPP del Estudiante (Video; 4:34)
Este vídeo le ayudará a usted y a su hijo a aprender sobre el “Reporte de Calificaciones del Estudiante” de California y de los resultados de los exámenes estandarizados de fin de año.
Smarter Balanced Web Site Links
- Smarter Balanced Parents and Students Page
– A Smarter Balanced Web page that provides access to fact sheets, questions and answers, and resources in English and Spanish.
- Support for Under-Represented Students
– A Smarter Balanced Web page that provides information and resources for under-represented students.
- Spanish Resources – A Smarter Balanced Web page that provides resources and information in Spanish.
California Alternate Assessments
California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for ELA and mathematics are given in grades three through eight and grade eleven. The CAAs have replaced the California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) for ELA and mathematics, which were eliminated in 2015. Only eligible students may participate in the administration of the CAAs. The CAPA for science in grades five, eight, and ten will continue to be administered until a replacement assessment is available.