Digital Library Resource Collections
Created by expert educators in collaboration with CDE and Smarter Balanced, the Digital Library resource collections bring together associated resources that pertain to specific topics in one location. Please note: A Digital Library account is required to access any Digital Library resource.
CDE—Professional Learning Series
The Professional Learning Series is designed to connect educators with resources in the Digital Library that directly relate to timely professional learning topics.
Formative Assessment Process
- Formative Assessment Process – Foundational Series | PDF
This foundational series is designed for use by educators with limited experience integrating the formative assessment process into instruction and/or limited understanding of the tools offered in the Digital Library.
- Formative Assessment Process – Advanced Series | PDF
This advanced series is designed for use by educators who can navigate the Digital Library and are ready to deepen their formative assessment practices and develop additional formative assessment skills.
- Assessment Literacy – Foundational Series | PDF
This foundational series is designed for use by educators with limited understanding of the Smarter Balanced assessment system. This interactive series engages educators in the formative assessment process while learning about the components that make up the Smarter Balanced assessment system.
- Assessment Literacy – Advanced Series | PDF
This advanced series is available for use by educators who have used all components of the Smarter Balanced assessment system. This interactive series engages educators in the formative assessment process while learning how to evaluate and align classroom and district instruction and assessment tools with regard to Depth of Knowledge and accessibility for all students.
Supporting Student Accessibility Needs
- Supporting Student Accessibility Needs for Instruction and Assessment | PDF
This series offers educators support in meeting individualized instructional and assessment needs. Each resource in this series provides research-based information on teaching strategies that meet the needs of individual students.
CDE—Instructional Learning Series
The Instructional Learning Series is designed to connect educators with resources in the Digital Library that directly relate to specific Interim Assessment Blocks. For each resource on the lists below, a brief description is provided along with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) of focus and estimated instructional time. Many of the formative assessment practices featured in these resources can be used across grades and content areas, so teachers are encouraged to explore all of the resource lists in this series.
English Language Arts/Literacy
- Grade 3—Read Literary Texts
- Grade 4—Read Literary Texts
- Grade 6—Read Informational Texts
- Grade 7—Read Informational Texts
- Grade 8—Read Informational Texts
- High School—Research
- Grade 3—Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Grade 4—Numbers and Operations Base Ten
- Grade 6—Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Grade 7—The Number System
- Grade 8—Expressions and Equations I
- High School—Algebra and Functions
More Instructional Learning Series resource lists coming soon!
Smarter Balanced—Digital Library Connections
Digital Library Connections link student performance on the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment Blocks with resources in the Digital Library. Educators can use these connections to find relevant and useful instructional supports that are aligned with students' needs.
English Language Arts/Literacy
- Grade 4—Brief Writes (DOCX) NEW!
- Grade 4—Revision (DOCX)
- Grade 7—Read Literary Text (DOCX)
- Grade 8—Research (DOCX)
- High School—Brief Writes (DOCX)
- High School—Revision (DOCX)
- Grade 3—Number and Operations in Base Ten (DOCX) NEW!
- Grade 5—Fractions (DOCX)
- Grade 6—Geometry (DOCX)
- Grade 7—Ratio and Proportional Relationships (DOCX)
- High School—Statistics and Probability (DOCX)
More Digital Library Connections coming soon!