SBAC CDE News
- Updated Item Specifications Documents Available
- Technology Readiness Data Collection
The SBAC CDE weekly update is an email sent each week to inform California educators and parents of new developments and upcoming events. Please feel free to share information in the update with those who are interested in the SBAC CDE’s work.
- Updated Item Specifications Documents Available—The item specifications provide item writers with guidance on how to translate the Common Core State Standards into items and tasks that will be contained within the SBAC assessment. There are both item tables and sample items available. These documents represent the best current thinking on item alignment; however, SBAC expects them to be updated as ongoing item and test developments occur. The updated item specifications materials are available on the SBAC Web site . Below are direct links to the general ELA/literacy and mathematics item/task specifications documents.
- Technology Readiness Data Collection— The California statewide Technology Readiness data collection window is now open and will close on June 14, 2012. This tool helps identify how ready schools are to support a system of online assessments. With the assistance of the Technology and Telecommunications Steering Committee and the Technology Assistance Project, CDE created a “district-admin” user for each district and has sent login information and links to resources to Technology Liaisons in each district across California. As districts and schools plan their approach to instruction and prepare for the transition to next-generation assessments in the 2014-15 school year, technology is often at the top of the list of concerns. The information gathered from the Technology Readiness Tool will provide SBAC and CDE baseline information about current capacity, with results expected this summer.
SBAC CDE Upcoming Events
Technology Readiness Data Collection Rollout
- April 16–June 14, Statewide LEAS Data Collection: The statewide data collection window is now open and will close on June 14, 2012. Visit the SBAC CDE Web page to view materials related to the statewide Technology Readiness Tool rollout. The reporting system for the Technology Readiness Tool will include district reports and the submission status for each school where information has been submitted.
SBAC CDE Resources
- Join the SBAC CDE electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to email@example.com.
- To receive Common Core State Standards CDE Updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the from CDE listserv by sending a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SBAC CDE Web site—The Smarter Balanced CDE Web site includes access to archived SBAC CDE Updates, resources, and presentations.
- SBAC External Web site—The Smarter Balanced external Web site showcases the SBAC work and provides frequent updates on activities, milestones, and events.
- SBAC is on Twitter—Follow @SmarterBalanced to get resources and links to the latest SBAC news.
- Assembly Bill 250—The AB 250 Statewide Pupil Assessment Web page provides the latest information about the reauthorization of California's assessment system.
SBAC Question/Answer of the Week
Q: When will schools and districts know which existing computers will be eligible to be used on the SBAC assessments in 2014-15?
A: The decision about legacy operating systems will be informed by the data received from the Technology Readiness Tool. The first data collection for the survey closes in June 2012. SBAC expects to complete their analysis of the data by July and will vet among the SBAC member states a comprehensive approach to the use of legacy systems by mid-August.