SBAC CDE News
- American Institute for Research Selected For Test Delivery System Contract
- Consortium Update Webinar and Article Available
- Link to Sample Technology Enhanced Test Items
The SBAC CDE weekly update is an email sent each week to inform California educators and parents of new developments and upcoming events. Please feel free to share information in the update with those who are interested in the SBAC CDE’s work.
- American Institute for Research (AIR) Selected For Test Delivery System Contract — The test delivery system encompasses test registration, presentation of the assessment items to students, and delivery of the data from the test to reporting systems. Under this contract, AIR, in collaboration with Data Recognition Corporation, will modify its existing test delivery system to meet SBAC specifications for the Pilot Test of the assessment system in early 2013 and for the Field Test in early 2014. The system will be optimized for release in its open-source version in fall 2014.
- Consortium Update Webinar and Article Available — A recently recorded webinar with Joe Willhoft provides an overview of the Consortium’s work and upcoming milestones. The 30-minute presentation covers progress on test design and development; special populations; technology infrastructure; procurement; and collaboration and partnerships. The webinar can be shared through YouTube and viewed on the SBAC website . Also, in the article Assessing the Common Core , published in the James B. Hunt, Jr. Institute for Educational Ledership and Policy – The Intersection, Joe Wilhoft discusses what is being done to align lesson plans, professional learning opportunities, and instructional resources to the common core state standards.
- Link to Sample Technology Enhanced Test Items — The item and performance task specifications provide guidance on how to translate the SBAC content specifications into actual assessment items. In addition, the specifications offer sample technology enhanced items . Once on the SBAC item and performance task Web page, open up the file Technology Enhanced Item Supporting Materials (ZIP). Click on the top folder entitled movies. Here you will find sample English language arts and mathematics sample technology enhanced items. Also, watch for the upcoming SBAC item sampler that will be shared by the Consortium, noted in the SBAC CDE Update and posted as a link on the SBAC CDE Website as soon as it is available.
SBAC CDE Resources
- Join the SBAC CDE electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To receive Common Core State Standards CDE Updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the from CDE listserv by sending a blank message to email@example.com.
- SBAC CDE Web site — The Smarter Balanced CDE Web site includes access to archived SBAC CDE Updates, resources, and presentations.
- SBAC External Web site — The Smarter Balanced external Web site showcases the SBAC work and provides frequent updates on activities, milestones, and events.
- Smarter News, the SBAC's monthly eNewsletter — Smarter Balanced provides monthly updates on the development of the Smarter Balanced assessment system and activities in member states.
- SBAC is on Twitter — Follow @SmarterBalanced to get resources and links to the latest SBAC news.
- New Resources and Webinars on Standards and Assessments—Student Achievement Partners released ready-to-use professional development modules to assist educators in the implementation of the Common Core State Standards. These modules contain resources for educators, including research, discussion topics, activities, web and video tools, and more.
SBAC Question/Answer of the Week
Q: Will there be training available on the English language arts/literacy rubrics? Will “anchor papers” be made available to use when training teachers?A: As part of the development of formative assessment practices and strategies, SBAC will create a digital library of professional development materials, resources, and tools aligned to the Common Core State Standards and SBAC claims and assessment targets. The digital library will include professional development materials related to all components of the assessment system, such as scoring rubrics and work samples. More information about the development of formative assessment tools and resources is available in the Formative Assessment Master Work Plan (PDF).